Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thoughts on Celestron's CG-5 mounts

As I keep thinking through my scope purchase, I keep coming back to the Celestron C11-S GT as a rather nice scope for the money.

I've only been able to find a few reviews online - all very favourable so far. But no one has mentioned the mount.

Has anyone any experience of this mount, especially it's suitability for astrophotography? There's just something about it which looks a little flimsy - but I know that's nothing to base a decision on. But it does look like a lot of scope on not a lot of mount in the pics.

Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with Gaz here, a C11 on top of a CG5 might be asking a little to much of it, especially for astro photography (which would involve adding more equipment to it for the autoguiding eventually)

On the other hand, you DO get a C11 OTA for ~£2000 and a mount thrown in for free :grin: Sell the mount, put the money towards something better.

If you look and see how much a C11 OTA by itself is (~£2500 ?) versus how much a C11 + CG5 is (~£2000), that looks a sweet deal indeed.... all the better if you can find someone who wants a CG5 mount for a smaller setup

I would say that the CG-5 is on par with the HEQ-5 or Seben Mount, but it is far nosier due to the motors used and I have heard reports that the locking clasps can break in cold weather. However you can get the goto version for wayyy cheaper than the HEQ-5 Pro and also it features an autoguider port for long exposure astrophotography.

I would assume that the CG-5 is okay up to 8inch for a newt. or maybe 10inch for a Schmidt Cass, 6inches for a refractor. although if your using a CCD/dSLR and a guide scope you may want to use a smaller primary scope...

we should set up a test bed for all things astronomical then we'll know what can handle what rather than arguing over what may be possible!

The CG5(GT) is a one of many EQ5 'clones' knocking about. The GOTO version is excellent value for money but it is (as has already been mentioned) much noisier than the HEQ5/EQ6 models when slewing to objects, although it's as quiet as any other mount when tracking. I bought the C8NGT setup and it worked superbly for visual but when I started looking at getting into imaging, I sold the mount for something with better build quality and more weight capacity. Imaging with that setup would be a challenge alright!!

Gurney, why not get that setup, get used to it and then sell the mount when you're ready for imaging? In good nick, those mounts fetch £200-£250 secondhand plus you'd already know how to use an EQ mount and the handset software is almost the same. That money goes towards an EQ6.... :grin: .

Tony..

I have seen the mount demonstrated at an observing evening and it accurately slewed to its targets very well but was extremely noisy. I wouldnt recommend using it in a built up area late at night.

Regards

Kevin

As a previous owner of one, I fully agree.

I heard a CG-5 mount for the first time the other night. Would be a great mount for my C8 but I really found it too loud whilst slewing.

How does the HEQ-5 PRO GOTO compare in sound and stability?

I also had a CG5 GT mount which had a C8 an 80ED and all of the other bits and bobs needed for imaging and it worked very well but like everybody else I found the noise it made unacceptable.

Believe me when it's quiet at 2am and you decide to slew to a new object, the whole neighbourhood will know about it :grin:

Having said that I think that for imaging with a C11 it's not really suitable, especially when you take into account all of the other gear you'll have to have on it as well....eg cameras - guidescope etc, that's just to much weight for that particular mount.

How does the HEQ-5 PRO GOTO compare in sound and stability?

What was that? Are you alive? Speak up I can't hear you? 'bout sums it up

Yes, when slewing, other than a short period at the beginning/end, when the gears mesh, it has a cool turbine sound. When actually tracking you probably won't hear any more than a quiet hum/pulse, sometimes not even that.

As for stability, the HEQ5 certainly 'feels' more stable but I guess the imagers are better qualified to comment.

As the CG5 and the EQ5 are both Vixen GP clones you could always swap the motors for Sky-watcher or 3rd party ones.

The newer CG5s are supposed to be a lot smoother since they started using ball bearings on the RA axis.

My CG5 hasn't even got motors (yet) so I only use it for visual onbviously but I've got to say the 2" Steel tripod it comes with (I think it's 1.5" on the HEQ5) is mega sturdy - I can give the OTA a good tap and it damps down in an instant even with the legs extended (ok so it's only a 6" but I'm still ever so impressed after my EQ3-2 on an ally tripod).

Also if you ever want to use it with a long refractor the tripod has a bigger height range than the HEQ5.

Regards

Paul

I've got a C11 on a CG-5 mount (purchased in Jan this year from FLO). Due to Celestron's barking mad pricing I got the C11 (XLT) OTA for almost £1000 cheaper than if I'd bought the OTA on its own (the way I see it, I got a pretty good mount in the form of the CG-5 chucked in for free)! I've since added some DK-3 motors from Astronomica and they're silent (and I do mean silent) and track fine for reasonably long lengths of time (but no GOTO, which I kinda like as IMHO I think its important to learn how to find objects in the sky without the use of a GOTO system).

However, I agree that if you want to start doing any kind of serious astrophotography then you'll need a bigger and better mount (Losmandy G11 or something similar) but you'll also need a lot more other bits and bobs (CCD, laptop, guide scope, guide camera, etc, etc.). So in general, Astrophotography appears to be expensive no matter what scope and mount.

If you want a great scope and mount for visual observations and a little afocal or prime focus photography using a DSLR, then I don't think you would regret getting the C11 at all, I certainly don't! :)

Good luck making the decision, it took me ages to decide but I'm 110% pleased that I went for the C11 and CG-5 in the end.

Steve, I had been led to believe you couldn't put the DK3's on the CG5. I have a Goto CG5 would it be possible to put DK3's on it? Or does anyone else know? Anything to cut out that industrial strength racket. I turn mine off at midnight if I'm out in the garden out of consideration for the neighbours and just hand track it.

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, I can't comment on putting the DK-3s on a CG-5 GOTO mount (i.e. whether the pre-installed motors are easy to replace, etc.). I can only say the DK-3s work perfectly on my CG-5 and I'm very happy with the whole set up (although, I am saving for a G11 :oops:)

However, I would highly recommend contacting the guys at Astronomica and asking, they've always been very helpful and informative to me.

Good luck

Steve

Archived