Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Amazing clear night last night

kev100

Hiya.

Although I've had a fair few nights out this year, pretty much all have been affected to a greater or lesser extent by atmospheric humidity. Last last night, however, was different. Clear, still, transparent, no moon, on a weekend! Wow. Although I had to be done by around midnight (I had to be back up again by 4.15!), I packed 'em in. 

Starting with Jupiter at around 9.30 (4 moons, GRS just emerging). A couple in a camper van had pulled up for the night in the carpark where I observe, and they came for a look, and they were very impressed. We chatted for a while and then they retired for the evening. By 10 it was dark enough for some DSOs ...

The Leo triplet was probably the best I've ever seen it. At 50x in the 24mm MaxVision, they just about fitted, and the burger in the hamburger was clearly visible!

Stellarium on my phone indicated the intriguingly named Starwind galaxy was close by Porrima in Virgo. Sure enough, there it was. Small, but very clearly a side on galaxy. No signs of the star wind, obviously (not visible in visible light), but nice none the less. Porrima is apparently a double, but I couldn't split it. Did manage epsilon Lyrae, though!

I spent a good half hour, maybe more just scanning down through the bowl of Virgo taking in galaxy after galaxy. I didn't even bother to try to identify them, as I've done in the past, it was far too enjoyable just seeing fov after fov of them ...

Over the course of the evening there were:

• A few globulars: M80, 107, 56, 13, and 92, ranging from the faint fuzzy blob to the 'blimey!' M13 at 240x was just bonkers!

• A few planetary nebs. Ghost of jupiter was suitably planetary, but offered no detail. The Blinking planetary was an easy find, but oddly it didn't 'blink'. I have witnessed this phenomenon before, but last night it was a steady, planetary blob! The Ring, although still a little low in the east, was very clear, but offered little in the way of colour.

Finally, just as I was getting ready to pack up, Mars rose over the horizon. Way too low to be anything other than a shimmery orb, it was oddly mesmerising to watch it rise, even with just the naked eye.

Trees obscured my current main target for the evening (the southern pinwheel), but it was a fantastic night all the same.

It was hard to drag myself away, but I had to be up at 4.15 so I could climb to the top of Giant Hill, watch Morris Men dancing, and drink beer while watching the May Day sun rise!

As they say in twitterland: #knackered

Kev

got out for a few hours too, was really clear, even got down to sombrero galaxy - that altitude is normally no go for me due to atmosphere! Seeing wasnt great there was quite a lot of turbulence in the air :( only made it till 12am - was so tired, was glad it was clear and moonless on a weekend too! 

One thing I did notice - so many satellites!! i know there are loads out there , normally only see a few, last night seemed to be one floating by every time i looked up! managed to see an iridium naked eye too (sky safari on Iphone has added notification )which is great - so easy to miss otherwise!

Hiya. I see from the forum that several of us had a good night. Your post actually reminded me, I had a good look at the sombrero too. I'd forgotten. In fact, it was one of those nights when I has to write up my notes the next day from memory, rather than at the time. Happy days!

Really nice report Kev! 

I was also observing M13 and M92 last Saturday and they were really pretty! For planetary nebulae you could try the Turtle (NGC6210) in Hercules and NGC4361 in Corvus. The latter should be better placed now than the Ghost of Jupiter. Of course, don't forget The Owl (M97) in Ursa Major and the close galaxy M108 (The Surfboard galaxy). You might even see them in the same field of view! :) 

Cheers guys, and thanks, Piero, for the planetary neb suggestions. The Owl and surfboard galaxy are already old favourites, and I've recently added the Turtle to my hit list. NGC4361 looks interesting ... will have to give it a go!

Kev

On 1.05.2016 г. at 22:44, mapstar said:

Just shows how much difference in seeing there was around the country 

I know it sounds a bit daft but i often see difference in seeing depending on direction I am pointing. Facing East is never that good due to the town and river, due S SW, and West though always seem better as there is nothing for about 60 miles, darker too.

Archived