NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New OTA advice needed

I am planning on getting back into lunar and planetary imaging after a 5 year break. I dug out my 8 inch newt from the shed the other day and found that I really struggled to get it onto the mount. I think age is catching up with me. So, I need something a bit easier to manage. I'm thinking of either a Skywarcher Skymax 127 mak/cass or a Skywatcher Evostar 120 refractor. Which one is best suited for hi res lunar and planetary imaging?

I don't do imaging but I have owned an Evostar 120 and I think it would be too slow and too big and heavy for what you are looking for. Perhaps you meant the Startravel rather than the Evostar?

11 hours ago, Dave Lloyd said:

You'll get better magnification for a given eyepiece with the evostar

I agree, Dave, but Tony is looking to do imaging rather than observing so I'm not convinced a long achro would be suitable at all?

10 hours ago, DRT said:

I agree, Dave, but Tony is looking to do imaging rather than observing so I'm not convinced a long achro would be suitable at all?

A slow scope would be fine for lunar and planetary imaging as they are bright objects and you need the image scale. That said, an achro would not be ideal.

Out of the two options, the 127 Mak would be better I would say. I also agree with Jules that the OMC140 would do a good job if you gave it a try.

For imaging the 127 would be better, or, the Skymax 150 if you could stretch that far.

I have a 120mm achro and I wouldn't recommend it for imaging. To be blunt, the Startravel version is useless for any kind of planetary observing/imaging and cannot comprehend why anyone would recommend it.

Yes, I have heard good things about the Startravel, but only for low power and wide field. It's just not 'geared' for planetary, the short focal length gives tiny image scale and being a short focal length achromat, your images will be plagued by blue haze I am afraid. You need long focal length...the mak will be far, far better with a larger image scale and no false colour.

Archived