NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Still struggling with alignment

Well had a mixed result tonight I still don't seem to be able to get the scope to point in the right direction.  I'm pretty sure it's the polar alignment where  I'm getting it wrong. I don't seem to be able to see any of the cross hairs etc and polaris is quite faint in my back garden due to light pollution I assume.  In the end I just released the locks and pointed it at Jupiter by hand and was very happy to see Jupiter and three moons ? 

What scope and mount are you using.  I assume it is some type of goto.

If you are just doing observing then accurate alignment to Polar north does not have to be that critical.

Pointing the Mount North with a Compass can be accurate enough. Then use a Low Power EP so you get a wide FOV when looking at your chosen object.

Once you have the object in center of the EP you can use a higher powered EP to get closer in.

I am not familiar with that mount but I would suggest doing an Auto 3 Star align rather than an Auto Align and see if that is more accurate. As regards PA just follow the instructions but make sure that you are pointing North and that the mount is level. An illuminated reticule eyepiece might help with accuracy, say a 12mm.

Peter

Not wanting to state the obvious but - it is the mount you're trying to polar align isn't it? Some folks with new scopes confuse polar alignment with star alignment - hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs. I found it useful to do the PA before putting the scope and weights on the mount - still do sometimes. Then when it's on the celestial pole - add all the gear and tweak for any minor loading adjustments. Hth :)

Ok I used to have the CG5 GT Goto mount - not to be confused with it's newer successor the AVX mount. The CG5GT doesn't have an illuminated polar scope so I used to illuminate it with a brightness adjustable led clipped on the aperture - but it's not entirely necessary. I don't know if you know but the view through the polar scope is entirely dependent on the orientation of Dec axis which rotates the hole in the weights bar.

If you take the caps off both ends of the polar scope and turn the Dec axis 90o and look down through the top hole - you should see through to the lens at the other end. Now when you look up the polar scope from the lens end you should see the constellation markings and polar reticule. :)

(Best to practice during daylight - or use a torch in the dark to check it out).

do you have a polarscope?

reason i ask is the cg5 didn't ship with one i had to buy one for mine

I'm struggling with I get it so it's pointing north then once it's dark I can't see any of the alignment marks in the scope

polarscope is the little scope that screws into the bottom of the mount,and is covered by caps.....not your viewfinder or main scope

• 3 weeks later...

Archived