Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is there a better way than USB extender cables ?

Hello,

My scope is currently on a pier in my garden, and I control it inside the house via my desktop - connected by a 25m USB repeater extension cable. It works just fine, - but it's pain to keep rolling it (USB cable) out\up every time I want to use it. Is there a better way ? Also I have a powered USB at the scope end that all my USB devices (mount, focuser, guider etc.) connect to.

I was thinking what is really needed is a wifi style USB extender, but I am unsure if they exist, or how good they would be ? - Would something like this at the mount end (http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOGEAR-Wireless-Sharing-Station-GUWIP204/dp/B00QJ7RRDQ) work ? - Would need to go over 25m and through a wall.

The other option would be to use a micro PC with wifi (I have seen one powered by 12v) and then control that inside via TeamViewer. (There are also some very expensive astronomical solutions I have seen that fit between the mount and saddle\scope - think HitechAstro do one - but it too rich for me at the moment).

Thanks

Alistair.

Something I looked at but been unsure about the functionality offered/available.  Devices I was looking at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006D3RCN6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WS8QCP4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0032CATKY

I'm not suggesting there as providing what you are looking for, but just posting as these devices are available (with prices0 nd i will be interested in what others who may have knowledge/experience of such configurations.

Ian

I am running into the same issue so I was thinking of using a  raspberry pi so I could use an ethernet cable instead of UBS repeater...

To go from USB to ethernet you can use this software.

"turn any linux based device into a USB Server! E.g raspberry pi , pi2, desktop, router, switch, android phone, blade server or your custom pcb! You choose the most cost effective and suitable hardware for your use."

"Server can share up to 122 devices up to 5 hubs deep"

From there you could use WIFI between the  raspberry pi and your workstation. My preference would be a hard link (burying an ethernet cable in a pvc pipe) but to each is own :)

Just for the anecdote: I once tried using a laptop and MS remote access (not teamviewer) ... at some point my connection froze and I could not reconnect from my workstation, so I went to the laptop and tried to unlock the screen but dear old MS told me that it could not log me in as someone else was already logged in ;) so the only thing I could do is a cold reboot, losing everything that was running on the laptop (PHD, EQMOD, BYEOS, AstroTortilla,CdC) ... you can imagine how that made me feel about remote access on windows ...

I was wondering - does this work as a concept.

You can get extenders for the USB range using Ethernet cabling like so  http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Ethernet-RJ45-Extender-Adapter/dp/B0029HRYBK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1460729513&sr=8-4&keywords=cat5+extender

however if you only use the adapter at the scope end and then plumb that in to a wifi adapter, such as http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-n300-universal-wi-fi-adapter-n96jc

would that then connect to the wifi network and effectively work ?

Thanks

Alistair.

49 minutes ago, AlistairW said:

I was wondering - does this work as a concept.

You can get extenders for the USB range using Ethernet cabling like so  http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Ethernet-RJ45-Extender-Adapter/dp/B0029HRYBK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1460729513&sr=8-4&keywords=cat5+extender

however if you only use the adapter at the scope end and then plumb that in to a wifi adapter, such as http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-n300-universal-wi-fi-adapter-n96jc

would that then connect to the wifi network and effectively work ?

Thanks

Alistair.

My impression is that these devices use the ethernet cable as a copper wire and pass the USB signalling over that copper rather then using ethernet network packets.  i.e. it's a dedicated cable using ethernet patch cable rather than USB cable, NOT ethernet networking.

But that is only my reading of the device description.

Ian

I use a USB over ethernet extender and it has been flawless on my pc running Windows 7 64bit.

I just run the ethernet cable underground .

It has a 50 Meter range.

4 short usb cables connect to the hub on the telescope and then I have only one cable running from the hub to my pc.

Here is the link:

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/USB-Extenders/usb-over-cat5-cat6-extender~USB2004EXTV

After trying all kind of extenders and usb to ethernet devices, I found the only really working solution is an Icron Ranger : http://www.icron.com/products/icron-brand/usb-extenders/cat5/usb-2-0-ranger-2204/  ( 100 meters with cat5 or 6 cable). Expensive, but working flawlessly. 

with most extenders broadband traffic (camera's) can be really problematic. USB extenders are a disaster i.m.h.o.

Waldemar

Yes I did see those Icron Ranger's - the look very good but pricey.

I am going to try something a bit different. My pier is only about 6m from an outdoor plug socket. I know this socket is on the main electric ring, so I am going to try a Powerline Adaptor. This will then allow me to run a 6m cat5 cable to the scope. At the scope end I will have a USB to Ethernet adaptor. I am hoping this is simpler than the 25m USB repeater I have at the moment and have to tread though the house every time I want to set up. I am worried with download speeds, but the specs seem to check out.

Thanks

Alistair

28 minutes ago, AlistairW said:

Yes I did see those Icron Ranger's - the look very good but pricey.

I am going to try something a bit different. My pier is only about 6m from an outdoor plug socket. I know this socket is on the main electric ring, so I am going to try a Powerline Adaptor. This will then allow me to run a 6m cat5 cable to the scope. At the scope end I will have a USB to Ethernet adaptor. I am hoping this is simpler than the 25m USB repeater I have at the moment and have to tread though the house every time I want to set up. I am worried with download speeds, but the specs seem to check out.

Thanks

Alistair

I have had poor experiences with the powerline adaptors.  Used in the house to "cable" a wifi access point (Apple Airport Express) to the main network.  A lot of the time they work fine, but a couple of times a day they will just stop passing packets over the network - maybe for 5 mins'ish and then all on they own they return to normal operation.  Tried TP Link ones and also Netgear ones (Netgear ones were slightly better but still suffered).  Nothing weird on the power supply (nothing industrial in the area and nothing in the house when the stoppage happens and the powerline adaptor LEDs show a good working link).  It's only kitchen (Airport) to utility room (network switch) as well so no great distance or anything.

Got so fed-up with the stoppages I installed Cat 6 cable in the end and it's worked perfectly ever since (eliminating the Airport Express from being the problem).

Not suggesting you should not try but, if your control/aquisition/etc. is through the powerline, be prepared to write-off the cost of the powerline gear should you suffer similar issues (not saying you will, but you might).

Also, out of interest, which USB to ethernet adapter (some are not network devices so would not work over powerline which pass network packets not electrical signals).

Ian

8 minutes ago, AlistairW said:

I have probably mis-understood your configuration.  Powerlink comments still apply but I has not realised you have a computer in the observatory/at the telescope end and another indoors.

Ian

No worries Ian. I get very confused over all the options. I only have the PC indoors running everything. Currently I have a powered HUB USB at the telescope. At the moment the PC connects to the HUB via a 25m USB repeater extender. I am simply trying to find another method around using the USB extender. I could be going down completely the wrong track.

Alistair

Just now, AlistairW said:

No worries Ian. I get very confused over all the options. I only have the PC indoors running everything. Currently I have a powered HUB USB at the telescope. At the moment the PC connects to the HUB via a 25m USB repeater extender. I am simply trying to find another method around using the USB extender. I could be going down completely the wrong track.

Alistair

My interpretation is that the device you linked to is a network adapter - e.g. to connect a computer that has no network connector to the network.  e.g. my Macbook has no cabled network connector only WiFi so if I want to plug it into a cabled network socket I'd need such an adapter.  i.e. works a bit like a network card in a desktop PC.  It wont act as a USB extender over cabled ethernet.  At least that is my understanding.  i.e. you plug the device USB plug directly into a computer (Windows or Mac) (directly including through a USB hub).

So, as I see it you'd need a computer at the telescope connected to the ethernet network either controlling everything which you can remotely control using e.g. VNC or computer at telescope running e.g. INDI server which you would then control using INDI client or probably other configurations but with that device involving a computer at the scope.

Before spending on it I'd double check the above 'cos my thoughts are that it wont achieve what I think you are looking to do.

Ian

Archived