Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

bahtinov mask: no spikes

They do indeed work with the DSLR cameras but you will need a bright star to allow you to see the diffraction pattern.

Have you considered using software like EOS Movie Record which has a x5 Zoom to allow you to examine the star zoomed in? This software works with Canon and to the best of my knowledge there is a Nikon version too.

15 minutes ago, alacant said:

OK, thanks. I must be doing something wrong, although I must admit to not knowing what.

Hi

I recommend using APT which has a Bahtinov mask tool that gives you a magnified image of the star plus data. You do need a fairly brightish star (but not too bright!) to focus on in APT. Sometimes liveview doesn't cut it and you have to take multiple short exposures but normally I expect you'll have a bright enough star visible.

Louise

Hi TIA,

When I use my Bahtinov mask on my DSLR I do not see any spikes, even on bright stars. However, I do see a diffraction pattern. When in focus, the star has two crescent moons on each side, when out of focus the pattern is no longer symmetrical. I tried to draw an image of what I can see ( under max. zoom preview). In focus is the pattern in the center:

Bahtinov patterns.jpg

Clear skies!

HJ

11 minutes ago, hjw said:

Hi TIA,

When I use my Bahtinov mask on my DSLR I do not see any spikes, even on bright stars. However, I do see a diffraction pattern. When in focus, the star has two crescent moons on each side, when out of focus the pattern is no longer symmetrical. I tried to draw an image of what I can see ( under max. zoom preview). In focus is the pattern in the center:

Bahtinov patterns.jpg

Clear skies!

HJ

HJ, is this with a camera lens or the scope? I've always had the spikes with the scope and dslr

I find using the camera in video mode with manual settings works best for me (canon DSLR) rather than the live view.  Set the ISO as high as it goes, increase exposure to max (prob 1/30).  Then, as others suggest, use the digital zoom to zoom in on the star.  Once focussed, remove the mask, set ISO to taste, and switch to manual mode.

On 11 April 2016 at 15:33, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

I recommend using APT which has a Bahtinov mask tool that gives you a magnified image of the star plus data. You do need a fairly brightish star (but not too bright!) to focus on in APT. Sometimes liveview doesn't cut it and you have to take multiple short exposures but normally I expect you'll have a bright enough star visible.

Louise

I agree with Louise. I use this every time and it's foolproof. Only problem I get is that I've been know not to remove the mask before starting g the imaging! :iamwithstupid:

Archived