New Spring DeLites

1 hour ago, Mak the Night said:

... Somebody please talk me out of buying the new 9mm!

Okay, here goes:

Now don't you go buying that 9mm that you actually really want/desire/pine for/need. Y'hear me now?

(Did that work?) ?

15 minutes ago, Floater said:

Okay, here goes:

Now don't you go buying that 9mm that you actually really want/desire/pine for/need. Y'hear me now?

(Did that work?) ?

Well ... no. But thanks for trying. Fortunately the 9mm isn't out yet and the craving might pass.            

How do they compare to Delos and Naglers? I have a 10mm Delos which I find a superb eyepiece, particularly the immersive feel of the 20mm eye lens. It essentially replaced my 10mm Luminos, the smaller field stop and the 72° FOV, 10° smaller than the Luminos, didn’t matter as the overall viewing was so much better and not any concern. I love my 16mm T5 Nagler but its smallish eye lens and close 10mm eye relief can sometimes be tiring. Its spectacular ‘spacewalk’ 82° FOV is worth the effort though. I've never used a DeLite.

19 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

How do they compare to Delos and Naglers? I have a 10mm Delos which I find a superb eyepiece, particularly the immersive feel of the 20mm eye lens. It essentially replaced my 10mm Luminos, the smaller field stop and the 72° FOV, 10° smaller than the Luminos, didn’t matter as the overall viewing was so much better and not any concern. I love my 16mm T5 Nagler but its smallish eye lens and close 10mm eye relief can sometimes be tiring. Its spectacular ‘spacewalk’ 82° FOV is worth the effort though. I've never used a DeLite.

Okay, here is a more serious attempt to convince you that you might not need that 9mm! :) 

You have a delos 10mm, which optically might be very close if not identical to the delite 9mm. They have the same eye relief, and will basically give you a very similar magnification. The delite are lighter than the delos, but they are still quite long, so not sure they are much more grab and go than a delos. I think that you will end up using the Delos because of the larger field of view and slightly brighter image.

Does this work? :rolleyes: 

They seem nice eyepieces though. I would read a review of them with interest.

From reading the story on the Tele Vue website, there seems to be a "family" of eyepieces now that have been developed off the back of the Ethos range which started with the Delos line and has now progressed to the Delite range. Once the Delite range is fully realised Tele Vue will have "best in class" options at 100/110, 72 and 62 degrees AFoV. Provided you have the readies .....

You can't help wondering if and when the 80-something degree range to replace the Naglers will be announced and what the future is for the Panoptics and the plossls ?

3 hours ago, Piero said:

Okay, here is a more serious attempt to convince you that you might not need that 9mm! :) 

You have a delos 10mm, which optically might be very close if not identical to the delite 9mm. They have the same eye relief, and will basically give you a very similar magnification. The delite are lighter than the delos, but they are still quite long, so not sure they are much more grab and go than a delos. I think that you will end up using the Delos because of the larger field of view and slightly brighter image.

Does this work? :rolleyes: 

They seem nice eyepieces though. I would read a review of them with interest.

Hmmm ... nice try ... but ... I'm getting a 235mm SCT soon. The Delos gives me 235x which is a good lunar/planetary magnification but where I live I can easily get (with the right conditions) nearer 250x - 300x, especially on the Moon. The DeLite will give me 261x (26x more) and the only reason I didn't buy a 9mm Delos was that they don't make one. I considered the 9mm Nagler before I bought the Delos but I already have a 16mm T5 which I can Barlow to an 8mm to give 294x (plus it will give me 147x also a good planetary magnification).

The Delos gives me 130x on my 102" Mak but the DeLite will give me 144x which is a better planetary magnification and gives me a good choice of medium high magnifications between the two EP's.

The Delos is too heavy for my 90mm tabletop Mak (408g), but the DeLite is only 207g and will give me 111x with a 62° FOV and could very probably be used on that as well.

Plus, The DeLite is certainly going to be cheaper than the Nagler 9mm.

Of course, I could just cut my Visa card up lol!

2 hours ago, John said:

From reading the story on the Tele Vue website, there seems to be a "family" of eyepieces now that have been developed off the back of the Ethos range which started with the Delos line and has now progressed to the Delite range. Once the Delite range is fully realised Tele Vue will have "best in class" options at 100/110, 72 and 62 degrees AFoV. Provided you have the readies .....

You can't help wondering if and when the 80-something degree range to replace the Naglers will be announced and what the future is for the Panoptics and the plossls ?

I was wondering something similar. Although I have a feeling the Plossls sell quite well as they are.

Any Televue for me now are difficult to come by as I will only deal with a very small section of retailers, two infact. Any item I get from Telly House sadly has a grossly overpriced courier charge attached of about 40 odd pounds, so this helps with the temptation by pouring a fair amount of water on it. 

I have to say I would would like the 5mm and maybe either the 18.2 or 15mm as top power planetary in my Meade LX SC. My best chance is if one comes up secondhand though I am hardly short of eyepieces. At the moment some clear sky would be nice so I can use the ones I have.

2 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I must say in an F/10 SCT 9mm is an excellent focal length to have. The Delite 9 mm would be a nice gap filler between my 10 mm XW and 8 mm Delos on planets, so I can go from 203x to 225.5x before jumping to 254x.

Not really necessary, of course ....

Still nice ....

:D

You wouldn't find find any 0.1mm gap when having an equivalent zoom:icon_biggrin:

2 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

I am doing my best to convince myself i do not need a straight 9mm too. For once i believe my common sense side is winning, for now ?

Well, you know what Nietzsche said about common sense; more or less everyone has it, therefore it isn't rare, and people only really value what's rare. lol

Archived