Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Powering your setup?

Hey,

I'm wondering what people use or recommend as power supply units for their telescope setups? Currently have the Skywatcher Power Tank which has served me well for the past couple of years. However im expanding my kit and will soon have dew heating straps, Powered filter wheel, Planetary CCD, Mount etc hanging off my scope. So i think im going to need something with a bit more guts that will endure long imaging sessions?

Any info much appreciated,

cheers, 

George 

It depends upon how much you can afford. Most use a power pack from the mains. Not the best and safest idea regarding wet conditions. A big battery is the safest way. Lead acid are very heavy and charging them can be fraught with problems if not done correctly. You can get Gel Batteries,  they are heavier than wet cell lead acid but much safer. Gel batteries require more careful charging (slower charging). Then there are the LiFePo types, very expensive. But safer than the others if treated correctly and a much longer life in terms of years of use. They are very light, about 1/3  of the Lead Acid types.

It is your choice.

Derek

5 minutes ago, Physopto said:

It depends upon how much you can afford. Most use a power pack from the mains. Not the best and safest idea regarding wet conditions. A big battery is the safest way. Lead acid are very heavy and charging them can be fraught with problems if not done correctly. You can get Gel Batteries,  they are heavier than wet cell lead acid but much safer. Gel batteries require more careful charging (slower charging). Then there are the LiFePo types, very expensive. But safer than the others if treated correctly and a much longer life in terms of years of use. They are very light, about 1/3  of the Lead Acid types.

It is your choice.

Derek

Heads up there all my leads are contained in a big Bosch power tool box lined with foam keeps every nice and dry 

A big leisure battery is the way to go (if you don't want to use mains power). They hold more charge and are a lot cheaper than power tanks. I've got an 80A/hr battery and it will go all night.

Clear skies

Ian 

One point about mains powered devices. The mains to low voltage convertors very and I mean very rarely use fully isolated supplies. If it contains a none isolating transformer and the main winding fails then a much larger voltage can be present at the output. Any power to external circuits should be protected by an RCD. It could save your life!

Derek

Some good advice above. I use a 80ah leisure but due to problems with my NEQ6 supply not liking the voltage to dip I brought a voltage regulator off ebay  for £2.80. This allows me to have a regulated supply anything from 1volt to 24volts and so my neq6 is looked after. I have a 4 way cigar connector with a 10amp fuse which I attach using good crock clips. This will last ages with mt mount / 2 ccd cameras and heater running.  Jay

Fully charged batteries rate 13,8 volts. Chargers often go above 14 volts
For some equipment this is too high,  i.e. tec cooling. The use of a voltage regulator like Jay is mentioning to get down to ± 12,5 volts would be beneficial for most equipment

If you are in your own garden and have mains available, a switched mode converter is the best. No chance of overload or short circuit, it is totally protected against failures.
MeanWell offers several types and most of them have voltage regulation from 11,x - 13,x volts.  They have open cases which should be put in a protective wooden or plastic case when used outside, but they also have weatherproof converters.

Personally I use 3 open case switched mode converters to prevent interference and voltage drops by switching on and off of anti dew equipment: 1 for the mount, 1 for cameras and 1 for auxiliary equipment like dew protection. On the last one I also use a little voltage regulator to step down to 5 volts for powered USB hubs if needed. All three converters are build in a housing with ventilation. I have spare room for cables in the lid and little compartments for small stuff. It stays a little warm in there so no fear for condensation.

All in all this works like a charm for me.  If you want a more weatherproof solution, a PeliCase would be a nice option.

CIMG1014.thumb.JPG.902215494f69fcfc8c7ac

Archived