Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Registax 6 is driving me crazy, work flow help please.

Chris

So I'm giving planetary and lunar imaging a go with my ZWO, and I've got what looks like reasonable data from last night, the only problem is that I can't seem to stack it :(

I've consulted sir Google and as a result download PIPP, but even when I run an AVI through PIPP prior to stacking it still goes wrong?

It all looks fine until I get to the limit stage, then the dots jump off Jupiter to the edge of the frame, and at this point I know it's not going to stack as I've been through it so many times during the last couple of weeks with two sets of data.

What am I doing wrong? I've tried alligning anywhere from 2 dots to about 20 and this doesn't make a difference.

I'm probably doing something blindingly obviously wrong to experienced planetary imagers, so I thought I'd better ask before my hair falls out!

If I can get past this hurdle I think I'll enjoy it. I enjoyed capturing the data at least, I can see that it could potentially become addictive/expensive lol  

p.s also what gain do people set for capture. 80% seemed pretty clean for Jupiter.

Registax was The Daddy when planetary stacking started out. It hasn't been updated in over 5 years and it has been very much superseded. It's stacking workflow was never very easy at the best of times.

Autostakkert all the way now- it's faster, much easier to use and produces better results. For sharpening Lunar images, use ImPPG (let AS!2 place a grid of alignment points over the whole image and then import the stacked image into ImPPG). Registax still is useful for wavelet sharpening of planets.

38 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

p.s also what gain do people set for capture. 80% seemed pretty clean for Jupiter.

That seems high- use the lowest gain possible. All gain does is amplify the signal AND the noise in the sensor. It's better to have a lower frame rate and low gain that a high frame rate and a noisy gain-amplified image. Make sure to keep the histogram high (>50%) otherwise you will get onion-ringing.

Well AS2 for stacking and RS6 for wavelets worked a treat! Thanks for the heads up everyone :) 

I've stacked a few so far, not the best in the world as I've not done much of this type of imaging and it's only a 6" f/5 Newt, but I'm happy with the start and encouraged to try and improve!   

21_03_16Jup1.png

21_03_16Moon.png

21_03_16Moon1.png

Archived