Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Favourite Galaxy ep

bish

Hi all. Curious as to what your go to Galaxy ep is with a particular scope. Mine was the 11'mm nag (for 250p).  I use The 12mm Meade hd60 now, or 8mm rad to get in closer. Obviously I would use nags or ethos etc of funds permitted.

Galaxies vary immensely in size, form and surface brightness so it's difficult to pin down a single eyepiece. With my 12" dob I usually have the 21mm Ethos in the focuser much of the time, switching to the 8mm Ethos for a more detailed view. I guess those two would handle the vast majority of galaxies that I've observed so far.

On a much more modest budget, the Baader Classic orthos in the 18mm and 10mm focal lengths seem to be establishing themselves as really effective galaxy / faint DSO eyepieces with the 10mm even beating (slightly) the 10mm Tele Vue Delos for one experienced observer using large scopes in the USA.

Thanks John, good point that there is s huge variety (with M31 being one obvious extreme that I actually use bins for). I hadn't considered the Baader Classic orthos before

5 hours ago, John said:

Galaxies vary immensely in size, form and surface brightness so it's difficult to pin down a single eyepiece. With my 12" dob I usually have the 21mm Ethos in the focuser much of the time, switching to the 8mm Ethos for a more detailed view. I guess those two would handle the vast majority of galaxies that I've observed so far.

^^^ This would be my choice too....... If I could afford it 

IMO the perfect combo. I ponce borrow Calvins as often as possible :D 

Thanks Steve and calvin.  I have to say that I looked through  ethos in 3 or 4 different scopes at SGLXI (including yours, Calvin) and was really impressed. I had heard they were nice but not seen for myself until the star party. I can see that a 21mm, 8mm and 2x powermate would keep you happy for a while. I would need to sell all my eps and both my scopes and my bins to buy one.

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

Favourite what EP? Never heard the word 'galaxy' where I live.

There's no aperture can help seeing galaxies in heavily light-polluted area, let alone an eyepiece. Gas money for trip to dark site is best way.:smiley:

Archived