Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Solar Filter Do I Choose??

NSastronomer

Hi all,

I'm a newbie astronomer, and just purchased my 1st telescope, a Celestron NexStar 127SLT.

I've been able to use it twice, but it's been so darn cold and uncomfortable here in nova Scotia Canada, that I have not been able to really put it to the test thus far.

Right now, I'm still gathering accessories and other goodies necessary for doing what I would like to do with this scope, mainly observing and astrophotography and video of the planets, moon and sun, and also later on, whatever DSO's I might be able to see with this scope, although I know it's not really meant for that purpose.

I finally was able to observe the moon for the 1st time the other night (the 2nd time I've used the scope), and I've already photographed Jupiter with a cheap converted webcam that I have until I buy a good one.

Sorry to rant, I just wanted to give you an idea of my intentions and what I have so far, now, onto my question :)

I've purchased a solar filter from Amazon.ca, but I'm still awaiting it's delivery, hopefully it will arrive soon, it's just the film, I have to build my own ring/cap to hold it on the scope.

It is this:

6"x6" Solar Filter Sheet for Telescopes, Binoculars and Cameras by Thousand Oaks Optical

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00W6BK2WW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope it's not against the rules to post links here, if so, slap me and remove it! LOL

What my question is about is what kind of view I'll get with this, and what other filter can I buy to get a different kind of view.

I'm currently looking at Astrozap's webpage, they sell "two kinds of full aperture and off-axis solar filters using Baader film and glass materials to fit all popular telescope sizes" according to their website.

So, for my telescope, which filter should I get that will give a different type view than the Thousand Oaks Optical filter I will have soon?

I'm interested in doing DSLR images and video of the sun, and would like to capture it in as many different ways as possible.

Funny enough, my wife just put the Thousand Oaks Optical solar filter in my hand, it just arrived in the mail as I'm posting this, LOL

So what do you think? These are black polymer filter sheets, what else can I buy to take good images of the sun?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Baader Solar film is without doubt the one to get , the polymer film filters are very poor in comparison and are fit for little else than cheap eclipse glasses ... :happy7:

Thanks for the suggestion!

It doesn't look like they have one that fits my 127MM though, Astrozap has a 110-120mm, or, a 136mm-146mm.

What do you think is the best one to buy for my scope?

Is there a better supplier, especially for Canadians like me maybe here in Canada?

https://www.astrozap.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=31&curPage=1&sortField=sku

I was actually going to also buy a dew shield from Astrozap, until I realized the shield was only $29.99, but the shipping is more than the shield at $33.99!

Bummer

5 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The Astrozap 136mm-146mm is suitable for a 127 mak Astrozap filters

Thanks Peter, I appreciate the guidance.

I've actually tried to purchase it at Astrozap, but their checkout is broken, and eventually times out. I'm not having very much luck with this!

So about that Thousand Oaks Optical solar film, I bought it because a member on another forum highly recommended it to me, saying it was safe and gave excellent results above other filters, now, I'm concerned.

Is it safe to use?  The comment "fit for little else than cheap eclipse glasses" makes me concerned about using it now.

Can you guys explain this to me so I understand better about this product?

Thanks!

:)

6 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

I mean that the quality of the view through a polymer film is inferior in terms of observable details , they are perfectly safe to use .

Best supplier I'm aware of for your location is here ... http://www.kendrickastro.com/solarfilters.html 

Thanks for the referral Steve.

I'm looking at that page, what kind of filter do I need, a "Photographic Solar Filters", or a "Visual Solar Filter"? What are the difference between the two?

Also, which exact diameter will fit my Celestron 127SLT? I'm not sure of the exact outer diameter measurements and what the filter is exactly.

I'll be viewing and photographing via video cam and DSLR.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Photographic film is not to be used visually as it lets more light through for faster exposures (catching the seeing conditions). The visual film is the one for you if you intend to look through the eyepiece, it can also be used for photographic as well but the exposure time will be a little longer but shouldn't be a problem.

Alexandra

+1 for Baader film. You can buy ready made filters, but making a cardboard holder for the film is easy. Filters that show other views are not readily available for your Maksutov scope AND cost a lot. I have a Ca-K filter unit and an H-alpha filter + energy rejection filter (ERF), which can be used with a (cheap) refractor (does not have to be an ED/APO because you are using a VERY narrow bandwidth. Unless I get a big enough ERF, possibly with aperture mask, I would NEVER use these on either an SCT or a Mak. This is because the primary mirror is very fast, so will concentrate a ton of heat on the secondary, which will shatter under the heat stresses.  For this reason, Herschel wedges are not suitable for your scope either. The cheapest way into H-alpha viewing is getting something like a second-hand Lunt LS35, or Coronado PST.

4 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

+1 for Baader film. You can buy ready made filters, but making a cardboard holder for the film is easy. Filters that show other views are not readily available for your Maksutov scope AND cost a lot. I have a Ca-K filter unit and an H-alpha filter + energy rejection filter (ERF), which can be used with a (cheap) refractor (does not have to be an ED/APO because you are using a VERY narrow bandwidth. Unless I get a big enough ERF, possibly with aperture mask, I would NEVER use these on either an SCT or a Mak. This is because the primary mirror is very fast, so will concentrate a ton of heat on the secondary, which will shatter under the heat stresses.  For this reason, Herschel wedges are not suitable for your scope either. The cheapest way into H-alpha viewing is getting something like a second-hand Lunt LS35, or Coronado PST.

Thanks for all that great information, I would never have been able to find all of that if I searched for weeks.

I'm so new to telescopes, I'm not sure I totally understand all of it, but I understand the obvious parts about viewing and safety. I have ALOT to learn.

What I'm wondering now is which film is safe for my 127SLT MAK telescope.

I guess my 1st question is what kind of film is the one I've already purchased?

Is the Thousand Oaks Optical black polymer filter sheet for viewing or photography, it doesn't actually say anywhere. I'm guessing it is for viewing.

The Thousand Oaks Optical black polymer filter sheet wont damage my scope will it?

If I buy a "viewing" filter, what happens if I try to photograph through it?? Would it block out details and make exposures longer or something?

So which "exact" filter would you recommend for my scope if I'm wanting to take video and pictures of the sun? Now that your talking about the scope being actually damaged, I'm very concerned about making the wrong choice.

Please forgive my for my newbie-ness.

A film safe for viewing would not damage the scope, if securely attached in front, because light and heat is blocked before it enters. No heat can build up and damage things if it is kept out in the first place. Visual filters simply require longer exposure times than photographic ones. I would initially go for visual film from Baader (although I would first await the results of your Thousand Oaks variant. If you are happy with it, don't change). Using the visual film you can experiment with photography, and only get the photographic version of the film if you feel the need.

2 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

A film safe for viewing would not damage the scope, if securely attached in front, because light and heat is blocked before it enters. No heat can build up and damage things if it is kept out in the first place. Visual filters simply require longer exposure times than photographic ones. I would initially go for visual film from Baader (although I would first await the results of your Thousand Oaks variant. If you are happy with it, don't change). Using the visual film you can experiment with photography, and only get the photographic version of the film if you feel the need.

So any of the Baader "viewing" films are safe for the scope, are all the Baader "Photographic Solar Filters" also safe for my 127 MAK?

Will the Baader filters give a different look or capture any different information that the Thousand Oaks  filter film??

I would like to capture sun spots, but I'm wondering what it takes to capture flares and such other details.

I don't expect this, that is for sure! :

https://www.rt.com/viral/335743-nasa-sun-magnetic-fields/

Those are awesome images!

Thanks for sharing them :)

The images shown in the Thousand Oaks ad on amazon show an orange sun, please take a look and tell me if this is accurately what I should see in my pics.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00W6BK2WW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the exact filter I bought. I'm "guessing" this is a "Visual" filter, and not a photographic one?

I know I'm asking alot of questions, some of which are still unanswered, sorry for that, I am literally playing with fire here, so I just want to be completely sure I understand this before I attempt doing this with my new scope, I'd hate to do something bad to my new scope, or my eyeballs :)

I am looking at this sheet film filter, and I am thinking it is pretty flimsy, and somewhat delicate.

I'm mounting it in a 6" PVC plumbing end cap that will just fit over the end of my scope, and I'm wondering, is it a good or bad idea to mount this filter material behind a disk of glass, put in place as a protective measure?

Should this filter material just be bare between the telescope and the sun, or would it be problematic in any way to have the filter mounted between the scope's corrector plate and a disk of glass so that it is protected from any damage?

Hope I'm making sense, I just thought putting a piece of glass over the filter might protect it, but it's what I don't even know that I don't even know that I'm worried about.

12 hours ago, NSastronomer said:

I am looking at this sheet film filter, and I am thinking it is pretty flimsy, and somewhat delicate.

I'm mounting it in a 6" PVC plumbing end cap that will just fit over the end of my scope, and I'm wondering, is it a good or bad idea to mount this filter material behind a disk of glass, put in place as a protective measure?

Should this filter material just be bare between the telescope and the sun, or would it be problematic in any way to have the filter mounted between the scope's corrector plate and a disk of glass so that it is protected from any damage?

Hope I'm making sense, I just thought putting a piece of glass over the filter might protect it, but it's what I don't even know that I don't even know that I'm worried about.

If you just follow the instructions on the film then you should be fine. The film looks flimsy but is actually quite tough. Don't sandwich it between anything because you will spoil the views. It is very high optical quality and putting it behind a sheet of non optical glass or Perspex will make things far worse. Just look after it carefully, check it every time and replace it if it gets damaged and you will be fine.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

If you just follow the instructions on the film then you should be fine. The film looks flimsy but is actually quite tough. Don't sandwich it between anything because you will spoil the views. It is very high optical quality and putting it behind a sheet of non optical glass or Perspex will make things far worse. Just look after it carefully, check it every time and replace it if it gets damaged and you will be fine.

Thanks for the reply, that's the problem, there really aren't any instructions that came with it.

I went to the thousand Oaks webpage, but it didn't say anything about whether or not you should cover it.

I'm realizing now that their glass filters are not glass sandwiched to this film, but rather glass "coated" with their filter stuff.

I think I'm definitely going to get a Baader filter though, after reading the Baader webpage, and what they have to say about the difference in the details you can capture, it sounds like the best stuff.

The question is, should I just buy a cheap 6x6 sheet of the film, or purchase the whole pre-made filter. It's expensive for me, especially on a disability income.

One question I have is about focusing on the sun when you have a DSLR attached.

If I'm using a visual filter, I'm assuming it's safe to just look through the eyepiece to bring the sun into focus, but if I'm using a photographic filter, how can I focus it without looking through the eyepiece?

Also, when I'm using my webcam attached to my laptop and viewing in Sharp Cap, I'm assuming I'm going to have to put a hood over my head and the laptop, otherwise, I won't be able to see the laptop screen to be able to focus the telescope because it's bright and sunny out.

I would like to find a 2nd hand cheap motorized focuser for my 127SLT, I'm having great difficulty focusing because of the shaking and vibration, but I understand that is a known issue with this tripod, and I just have to get around to stabilizing it.

Thanks for your help!

Archived