SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Jupiter with the x1.8 Barlow

Pete Presland

As others have said the "seeing" if that is what you can call it was horrific last night, the worst of the year for me. I couldn't resist giving the x1.8 Barlow a spin though!

The results look promising for future sessions, the focal length according to Firecapture was 5000, instead of the 6000+ with the x2 Barlow. I could also see quite a bit of detail using the "stand back"  method of focusing.

Ignoring the clumsy OTT processing (pushed a bit further than I should have) the detail in this image is far more than I have ever managed before at this sort of FL. Looking forward to trying this Barlow again!

56e31c098285d_Jupiterx2_100316_221405cop

I agree that does look promising, under the seeing we had the other night, all manner of blur could be got, I would expect under better seeing, you will do a lot better than that. But you know that anyway.

The stand back method. Apt name for that focusing technique, I will remember that.

That observation you had of seeing quite a bit of detail using this method, is exactly why it works. That's indeed what you do see. And makes it easier to get precise focus, by using that detail that is easier to discern from distance. Under good seeing that detail is even easier to discern, so even better focus will often come. Everybody that does not have a motorfocus  should benefit from this  method. And even then, it still might be superior. But not using a motor focus. I am uncertain of the best tech for that ?

Archived