NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

March 7th - Surface detail through 6inch PST Mod

paulastro

While at The Astronomy Centre with Peter Drew yesterday using his 6 inch PST Mod to observe the large prominence, I also took a few pics of the surface detail.  I thought I'd post one here for those who may wonder what such a scope could produce.  The shot below was taken in rather bad seeing with my Olympus E-M5, single frame, 1/400 sec, 200 asa.  I would imagine in someones hands who takes video files and stacks the best images the results would be fairly spectacular - certainly much better than this offering.

P3073419a.thumb.jpg.6c47a28f7e8430025c1c

Hello Stu, many thanks for your comments.  The donor scope is a 152mm f10 ISTAR lens which Peter mounted in a tube he made from aluminium.  I must have a photograph of it somewhere and if I can find it I'll add it to this post.  Thanks again.

Stu, here's a pic of the scope being used by Peter.  It had slipped my mind for a moment that we took it along to Kelling last Autumn, and we'll be back again this year.  As last year I'll take along my Lunt 60mm DS.   You're welcome to pop in and see us if you attend yourself of course.

P9102421a.thumb.jpg.18fafbcee982c891951d

Ha ha, very good Charl, but I'm afraid not.  However, if you are ever over our way, the scope is in use most Saturday afternoons from about 1pm at TAC when the Sun is out.  PM me if you're ever thinking over coming over and I can meet up with you.  Cheers, Paul

Archived