NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The continuing adventures of a doofus.....

Tim

I wonder how long I will keep making newbie mistakes?

Last night, following a sudden influx of cloud, I decided to take a series of flat frames for the images I have been taking over the last few weeks.

To do this, I slew my scope into an upright position, stop the tracking, and balance the flat panel on the top. I suppose the top of the scope is nearly 8 feet from the floor, and the flat panel is A3 size and weighs a couple of kilos.

I set the run  going, which in itself contained a list of errors, wrong colours in wrong folders etc, and left it to it. The camera is quite a large CCD, each file is 22mb, so it takes a while for the run to finish, especially the Ha flats which are 30 seconds each.

When it was finished, without thinking, I just set the mount to park.............CRASH!  Flat panel and wiring everywhere. Need to closely inspect today, see if anything badly  broke :/

Tell me I am not the only one? Been doing this for 9 years, you'd think somehow would get the hang of it!

14 minutes ago, Tim said:

Last night, following a sudden influx of cloud, I decided to take a series of flat frames for the images I have been taking over the last few weeks.

To do this, I slew my scope into an upright position, stop the tracking, and balance the flat panel on the top. I suppose the top of the scope is nearly 8 feet from the floor, and the flat panel is A3 size and weighs a couple of kilos.

I set the run  going, which in itself contained a list of errors, wrong colours in wrong folders etc, and left it to it. The camera is quite a large CCD, each file is 22mb, so it takes a while for the run to finish, especially the Ha flats which are 30 seconds each.

When it was finished, without thinking, I just set the mount to park.............CRASH!  Flat panel and wiring everywhere. Need to closely inspect today, see if anything badly  broke :/

Tell me I am not the only one? Been doing this for 9 years, you'd think somehow would get the hang of it!

You're definitely not alone in making silly mistakes mate. I make quite a few myself as I'm sure other do too. I hope you've not done too much damage.

5 hours ago, Tim said:

Definitely not alone - I probably do this every third imaging run and never learn, so easy to do when you are running things remotely. It's not so bad now I have an obsy, was much worse when my EL panel would be thrown on the flags outside in the garden and wake the neighbours up at 5am.

Every time I tell myself I will add some sort of sleeve to the EL panel so it fits snugly over the scope and I can do my flats at the parked position, always seem to have forgotten by the following morning though!

Had the tripod indoors and had put the counterweight on top as it fitted nicely in the circle where the mount goes, unfortunately this camouflaged it nicely so when I moved the tripod it shot off making a nice circular dent on my oak floor, didn't mark the counterweight, lucky it missed my foot :)

Dave

Archived