Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best scope for planetary and star doubles

8 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

BTW your right just have both. No axe to grind about instruments.

But we must be careful how the discussion unfolds a newbie might read this  get a small frac, then get into imaging later in life and wonder why the images are not as detailed as larger scopes on planets

True Neil but if changing from visual to imaging I hope they'd be sensible enough to read a bit and seek advice first before a big spend. As we all know, visual and imaging gear rarely match for suitability/optimisation.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I should point out that although i realise masking down my 10" dob would give me similar views to a 100ED, which incidentally is due to arrive today. I want to try different scopes and like the idea of a frac so i can simply put it out in the garden and get on with it.

I nearly didn't get the 100ED but it was the thought of having something very nice (at a great price too btw) that gives me a different perspective to the hobby that made me push the button.

3 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

I think I should point out that although i realise masking down my 10" dob would give me similar views to a 100ED, which incidentally is due to arrive today. I want to try different scopes and like the idea of a frac so i can simply put it out in the garden and get on with it.

I nearly didn't get the 100ED but it was the thought of having something very nice (at a great price too btw) that gives me a different perspective to the hobby that made me push the button.

Ah that's a great decision, judging by all accounts you'll get some great views. I was just being selfish discussing the mask from my own viewpoint to help me later if i decide to get another scope. So I didn't mean to imply any criticism with ED80? :) In fact I might eventually buy the 76mm upgrade to my Tak, although I'm not sure the Star Adventurer will handle it. :)

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I saw a very real demonstration of these effects last night. Observing Jupiter with a Tak FC-100 and an excellent 8" dob, they behaved exactly as you would expect.

The Tak's image was easier to view in that it was stable, less affected by seeing and beautifully crisp and clear. There was plenty of detail visible and the moons against the sky background were beautifully resolved.

The 8" was harder work. The image varied a fair amount as the seeing came and went, sometimes the features were blurred out, at others the clarity was startling. Ultimately there was much more detail available in the 8" and I found that I observed more with it as it was more rewarding. The image was brighter, held a higher magnification and also showed more colour.

Had I only had the Tak, I would have been more than happy with it, but the 8" showed me details I would have missed otherwise. Aesthetically though, I still prefer the Tak ?

That's a fair point Stu. what one prefers and the reasons preferred. Totally get that.

Not what is better. As I said before, but really should have said, in hindsight, under certain conditions a good bigun will always beat a good smallun Assuming optical quality is comparable

Which adds yet another variable I would guess most ED fracs to be of superb optical quality. Large scopes can vary enormously quality wise. All these different things paint a picture, and some of the views being expressed here and elsewhere I think may reflect that, no pun intended . when I have tried to get a balanced discussion. People love there scopes. And when some one says another scope trounced it. people can get protective. you know I am glad my Newtonian trounced my Mak otherwise I would not have gone as far in my imaging that I have. I would expect to go even further with a C14

But can not afford one. Here enters another discussion, large Chinese optics. Which I have owned for a while now, yet its more inconsistent imaging wise. But under certain conditions even though optically I suspect strongly it is not as good as the Orion, can still do this. I hope to be getting the optics checked later in the year when I have the money to sort out any issues it could have. Which looking at the image seems unlikely. But it is still a possibility 

16399981781_c86196215c_o.png.4662eb707c7

13 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

That's a fair point Stu. what one prefers and the reasons preferred. Totally get that.

Not what is better. As I said before, but really should have said, in hindsight, under certain conditions a good bigun will always beat a good smallun Assuming optical quality is comparable

Which adds yet another variable I would guess most ED fracs to be of superb optical quality. Large scopes can vary enormously quality wise. All these different things paint a picture, and some of the views being expressed here and elsewhere I think may reflect that, no pun intended . when I have tried to get a balanced discussion. People love there scopes. And when some one says another scope trounced it. people can get protective. you know I am glad my Newtonian trounced my Mak otherwise I would not have gone as far in my imaging that I have. I would expect to go even further with a C14

But can not afford one. Here enters another discussion, large Chinese optics. Which I have owned for a while now, yet its more inconsistent imaging wise. But under certain conditions even though optically I suspect strongly it is not as good as the Orion, can still do this. I hope to be getting the optics checked later in the year when I have the money to sort out any issues it could have. Which looking at the image seems unlikely. But it is still a possibility 

16399981781_c86196215c_o.png.4662eb707c7

Not to shabby that Neil :thumbsup:

That,s a cracking shot of Jupiter Neil and a keeper!

ref the general discussion - as Unit Welfare Officer of an infantry unit I managed to build the community an Observatory housing a CPC 1100 XLT.  Great scope and cracking images (M42 stunned the parents and Jupiter blew the kids socks off!).  However, as with my MAK 180 and 150 Pro the image is just that little bit softer and the stars not just as pin sharp as my ED80.

The CPC 1100 would obliterate the ED80 on planetary/lunar and tight DSO imagery (as for a C14 - forget it!) but bang for buck including portability the ED80 is one I would never change (excellent on wide field also).  

I think if I were to be lucky enough to own an Observatory like the one I got built then I would go for a dual mounted set up i.e. a C11, ED80/100 on a heavy duty EQ.  Wide field, DSO, Planetary all wrapped up (both AP and visual).

NB, perhaps the reason I'm not doing Robbie Keane cart wheels about the CPC 1100 is that I have only had visual and I'm aware that out of the box it's collimation is slightly out.  Easy fixed and no doubt will sharpen the image.  At least the folks in the area have got something that gives them access to the stars!

Rick

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

I HAD A BAD

2 hours ago, recceranger said:

That,s a cracking shot of Jupiter Neil and a keeper!

ref the general discussion - as Unit Welfare Officer of an infantry unit I managed to build the community an Observatory housing a CPC 1100 XLT.  Great scope and cracking images (M42 stunned the parents and Jupiter blew the kids socks off!).  However, as with my MAK 180 and 150 Pro the image is just that little bit softer and the stars not just as pin sharp as my ED80.

The CPC 1100 would obliterate the ED80 on planetary/lunar and tight DSO imagery (as for a C14 - forget it!) but bang for buck including portability the ED80 is one I would never change (excellent on wide field also).  

I think if I were to be lucky enough to own an Observatory like the one I got built then I would go for a dual mounted set up i.e. a C11, ED80/100 on a heavy duty EQ.  Wide field, DSO, Planetary all wrapped up (both AP and visual).

NB, perhaps the reason I'm not doing Robbie Keane cart wheels about the CPC 1100 is that I have only had visual and I'm aware that out of the box it's collimation is slightly out.  Easy fixed and no doubt will sharpen the image.  At least the folks in the area have got something that gives them access to the stars!

Rick

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

Its great doing outreach to people Rick. You never know you may have inspired some kids to be the next DP. Aint it great hes from the UK. A inspiration to me and so many worldwide. Hope he realizes how much he has inspired so many of us to pursue planetary imaging.

Also get your points about the ED 80.  Never used one. But is highly regarded. And the reasons the C11 is softer, are no doubt numerous. you mention one yourself

Great Job on the Obs very nice work indeed

Archived