Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

82° vs 100° dilemma on 16" - thanks!

Rig3l

I agree that the ES 20mm / 100 is a terrific eyepiece. I had one before I got my 21mm Ethos and I have to say that the differences in performance are very slight at most, at least in my scopes which range from F/7.5 down to F/5.3.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I have looked through the Ethos 13mm and Nagler 12mm Type 4 using Olly's 20" F/4.1 Dobson. The seeing wasn't good enough to see any difference in image quality, but the Nagler 12T4 won in terms of eye relief. If I squeezed my glasses against rubber eye cup of the Ethos, I could see the field stop, but the Nagler was more comfortable for me. If the Ethos had just a mm or so more eye relief, I might well have gone for them. The Nikon NAV HW apparently has that mm extra. I might have a look at them. For me, the 82 deg FOV is already highly immersive.

You might be interested in these new eyepieces from Explore Scientific Michael :icon_biggrin:

http://explorescientificusa.com/collections/92-series-eyepieces

Apparently they perform really well even in fast scopes and their eye lens is even larger than the Delos !

They do weigh quite a lot though - just over 1 kg apiece.

On 21/2/2016 at 18:47, John said:

I've used many 82 and 100 degree eyepieces. For me, the 100 degree ranges seem to be the the best quality items that the brands can produce. They seem to put their very best efforts into them and the quality shows :icon_biggrin:

True. I think 100 degree ES eyepieces are better corrected and also are more comfortable to use than their 82 degree series.

8 hours ago, niallk said:

Dammit guys - you're at it again being TV's best salesmen :) I'm reading this thread with interest as I wrestle with the decision to buy a 9T6 Nagler and be done for a while; rather than biting the bullet, following my heart and going for an 8mm Ethos for my 15".

I had just convinced myself that the Nagler was surely the far more sensible option (cost, ergonomics - no faffing around: no balance issues, all my eps would sit at the same Paracorr2 setting, good all round performer). My fear is that I'd like the Ethos sooo much that I'd feel a burning need to add the 13E and eventually the 21E, and end up selling my present collection and doing unspeakable things to fund my addiction...

Niallk,

I tend to use the 10mm more than my 8mm but this is only on the account of the focal length. Calvin swears by the 8mm on his scope, being a bit shorter than mine, his is really fast at F3.9. I see this as an outstanding eyepiece and would work well on you scope, it is not that heavy either. As they say, or should I say Oscar Wilde once said "the only way to deal with temptation is to yeild to it" :happy8:.

8 hours ago, John said:

You might be interested in these new eyepieces from Explore Scientific Michael :icon_biggrin:

http://explorescientificusa.com/collections/92-series-eyepieces

Apparently they perform really well even in fast scopes and their eye lens is even larger than the Delos !

They do weigh quite a lot though - just over 1 kg apiece.

They are interesting, but I am currently settling for some 70-72 deg EPs (Delos and XW mix).  I might even replace the old Nagler 12T4  with a Delos 12mm. This is due to issues of sharpness and transmission, where the Delos is in the same league as the Ethos.  The first on the wish list is the 6mm Delos. Only if (when) I get a fast Dob might I rethink the EP strategy

Hello again!

First, I'd like to thank everybody for your valuable advices. I really love this forum :)

Then, I want you to know that the seller of the ES 20mm 100° accepted my offer.. So I'm a 100° eyepiece official owner  now ^^  Just waiting for the item to arrive, in a couple of days

2 hours ago, Rig3l said:

Hello again!

First, I'd like to thank everybody for your valuable advices. I really love this forum :)

Then, I want you to know that the seller of the ES 20mm 100° accepted my offer.. So I'm a 100° eyepiece official owner  now ^^  Just waiting for the item to arrive, in a couple of days

Congratulations ! - you will really enjoy that one !

Sometimes it's the only eyepiece I use all night for galaxy / DSO hunting :icon_biggrin:

7 hours ago, alan potts said:

Niallk,

I tend to use the 10mm more than my 8mm but this is only on the account of the focal length. Calvin swears by the 8mm on his scope, being a bit shorter than mine, his is really fast at F3.9. I see this as an outstanding eyepiece and would work well on you scope, it is not that heavy either. As they say, or should I say Oscar Wilde once said "the only way to deal with temptation is to yeild to it" :happy8:.

Spot on :) I've been debating ~200x vs 245x (10mm vs 8mm) for taking a first Ethos plunge - seeing has been variable whenever I have had a chance to get out, and this is another silly advantage of the 9mm T6: it sits on the fence nicely in the middle.  I firmly believe in my binoviewer with trusty 15mm plossls for planets, so the EP purchase is more for DSOs - planetary nebs.

I'm very interested in trying an Ethos, but for practical reasons I might go for the Nagler, and just enjoy the views this year; and contemplate again next year. I do love my 13T6 and 7T6, though it seems like the Ethos, Delos and Delites are understandably what people mostly seem to go for now.

Definitely torn - especially the more reviews I read.

Could certainly be very tempted indeed by an ES 20mm at the right price at the other end of the mag/fov range :):)

Niall

if we get a chance to get to an observing session you could try my ES 20mm 100*. It might get you hankering for its cousin the Ethos. Alas, I can't bring myself to spend that kind of dosh on an EP. 

On 2016-02-23 at 02:45, Rig3l said:

Hello again!

Awesome!

Eagerly waiting your first light report!:icon_biggrin: Welcome to the hyperwide club :hello2:

3 hours ago, Bart said:

Niall

if we get a chance to get to an observing session you could try my ES 20mm 100*. It might get you hankering for its cousin the Ethos. Alas, I can't bring myself to spend that kind of dosh on an EP. 

Nice one Barry - will take you up on that kind offer ;)

Yeah know what you mean ... I'm pretty much decided on the 9T6, but have to admit that all this praise for the ES20 100* has got me thinking!!

Let us know how you like your new eyepiece, once you get the chance to try it out in your 16'' beast! If coma doesn't bother you, dovrebbe essere una figata! :D

One day, when I'll be more stable money-wise, I'll probably go for a 100° eyepieces myself, the lure is just too strong to resist!

Archived