Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Great Night Ruined.

Astro Imp

Set up the scope about 16.30hrs under a clear darkening sky. 

Started having a scan around to see what was up and found the seeing was really good.

All my observing was carried out at x150.

As is my wont I started in the southern highlands the sun glinting on the central peak of Moretus, a lovely site.

Moved down and saw one of the great Lunar sites, Clavius. just starting to emerge. 

Carrying on northward looked at Tycho in passing, looks completely different now from a few days time when the wonderful ray systems dominates the scene.

Rupes Recta and its attendant craters Birt and Birt A were showing well.

I then wizzed down to Plato hoping to pick out some of the craterlets on the floor but couldn't see any, the eastern wall was still throwing quite a large jagged M shaped shadow. I guess more aperture wouldn't go amiss to pick out these small craters.

By now it was time for a dinner break.

Started observing again about 18.30hrs, the seeing was still excellent.

Looked for the rille at the base of the Alpine Valley without being sure I spotted it, might have had a fleeting view but I wouldn't claim it as certain, it could have been the imagination seeing it.

The Teneriffe Mountains were putting on a good show just up from Plato.

Had a good look at Archimedes and the associated mountains to the south. To the west are two small craters Beer and close by Feuillee, as I was looking at these I spotted a really small crater that was right on the edge of visibility between Beer/Fuillee and Archimedes, consulting the trusty Virtual Moon Atlas this turned out to be Beer E. I was quite surprised to see this as it is only 2 miles across.

While I was taking in a fine view of Eratosthenes my attention was drawn to an interesting feature slightly south and east. I started giving this my full attention and identified it using the VMA as the craters Pallas and Murchison. As I was really enjoying the view and taking in the surrounds it started to darken. I looked up from the eyepiece to see a cloud bank starting to obscure the moon. I waited hoping this would be a temporary set back but the clouds looked as though they had set in for the night.

I must observe this last area again as what I saw looked really interesting with the severely deformed Murchison right up close to Pallas.

If you've got this far thanks for reading.

Nice session!

It happens to get clouds on the way, and I would think that the best is to consider the minutes or the hours you had a chance to see, rather than the other way around. :) 

Looking forward to reading your next session on the moon! :) 

A fine and interesting report Alan, and I too spent a most of the evening observing the Moon. I used binoviewers with about 190X and I could not believe how stable the viewing was, it was captivating wasn't it.

At a lower altitude I tried to split Sirius and failed miserably. I am sure none of my neighbours, over whose roofs  I have to observe, have any loft insulation. :icon_biggrin:

Just now, ejp1684 said:

Thanks for a great report. I'm new to this, so must get a map of the moon and start identifying all these features.

Eric.

Thanks Eric.

When observing the moon I always have Virtual Moon Atlas on my laptop. This is a great free program that you can configure to show the view you see in the eyepiece:- https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

Archived