NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M44 - Beehive Cluster

gnomus

A gorgeous little cluster is m44, the picture more than adequately demonstrates that.
I never got the Beehive description, although I guess it could be a swarm of bees :smiley:.
It's remarkable that the naked eye smudge of light we see turns into a lovely sight like this 
when Imaged.
It's a very cold morning here in Cumbria, but seeing this has warmed me somewhat.
Thanks for the gift Gnomus.

Nice capture of the colours,gnomus.

I've re-examined M44 a couple of times in the last week with my ST80,after reading an article about it in the Feb edition of 'Astronomy Now'.

'Burnham's Celestial Handbook' gives a lot of in-depth information on the legends,lore and imagery invoked by this cluster.

Gloriously strong star colour which makes this a remarkable Beehive. Maybe the blues could be a little less green, as Mike says, and the background sky might benefit from neutraization. It seems a little warm on my screens. But this has attitude!

Olly

Archived