Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

cardconvict

Hello

Here is my attempt of astrophotgraphy in over 3 years and it was good to be back out in the night sky :). It is like trying to ride a bike again so much going on and having to think about.

I just hope my old skills of processing come back to me over time and i do not think  i have done M51 justice but just glad to get back out there and taking pics again.

In my image there is 24 x 5 minute subs Telescope was Celestron C9.25 with a focal reducer and mounted on EQ6 Pro which could do with a blumming good service considering it has done nothing in 6 years :( so that's my plan over the next few weeks.

Guide on a finder guider QHY5v with PHD2 which is a massive improvement on the PHD I used to use.

Thanks for looking and any comments welcome on anything I have done wrong or what I could do to Improve my images for the future :)

M51 best.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd try changing your Bayer matrix settings in DSS to match your camera it will help with the colour balance . The data looks clean and you have some nice dust lanes showing. have another go in DSS with different setting's.

3 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

I'd try changing your Bayer matrix settings in DSS to match your camera it will help with the colour balance . The data looks clean and you have some nice dust lanes showing. have another go in DSS with different setting's.

Great thank you for the advice and will try that. I think I'm struggling with the colour because I'm using a Astronomik CLS CCD Deep Sky & Light Pollution Filter Canon EOS Clip Fit and the images come out purple.

30 minutes ago, cardconvict said:

Great thank you for the advice and will try that. I think I'm struggling with the colour because I'm using a Astronomik CLS CCD Deep Sky & Light Pollution Filter Canon EOS Clip Fit and the images come out purple.

i dont think that affects it, i had one on my modded 550D  and it didnt seem to mess with my colour balance.  im pretty sure its a DSS setting. also did you give it a saturation boost at the end? and did you save with settings applied?

12670317_10154850901139815_5504686441024918716_n.jpg

when you save your image theres two boxes, one that says save with setting embedded and one thats says save with applied 

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/faq.htm

When the adjustment settings are embedded the picture stored in the TIFF file is the picture without any modification as it results from the stacking process. The settings are included so that the next times you open the TIFF file in DeepSkyStacker you can continue to work from where you stopped.
This option is useful if you want to continue to post-processing later using DeepSkyStacker or if you want to do all the post-processing with another software.

When the adjustment settings are applied, the picture stored in the TIFF file is the one resulting from applying the settings to the picture resulting from the stacking process. It is the picture as you see it in the processing tab.

Thanks Daniel for this information I will be redoing M51 from scratch using your advice and changing the bayer matrix until it looks correct for my camera and thank you to everyone else with your comments, this is why I love this forum as there is always help when needed great community :)

You've got some wonderful detail and some of the faint outer wispiness so it is really worth trying to get the colour balance right.  This would move it into top notch category.  You have a blue background which can easily be sorted by adjusting evening out the black point using levels in whatever processing software you use.  The galaxy itself is too red.  There are a few ways to fix this.  Getting the debayer right is obviously the best way but if that doesn't fix it you can have a play at adjusting the colour balance when processing.  You've got some great data to play with !

13 hours ago, MartinB said:

You've got some wonderful detail and some of the faint outer wispiness so it is really worth trying to get the colour balance right.  This would move it into top notch category.  You have a blue background which can easily be sorted by adjusting evening out the black point using levels in whatever processing software you use.  The galaxy itself is too red.  There are a few ways to fix this.  Getting the debayer right is obviously the best way but if that doesn't fix it you can have a play at adjusting the colour balance when processing.  You've got some great data to play with !

Thanks for the advice I'm going to be starting from scratch on this one.

I have collected more dark files and on my next clear night to catch some more data, I'm wondering to catch some HA data for this if it can be done.

11 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Oh I fiddled with the settings in Stellarium and found it - IC4263. Very nice too.

Funnily enough it doesn't appear in my effort from a couple of years back - maybe it's new? :icon_biggrin:

I have also picked up another 2 galaxy's in the image which are close to M51 in the picture on the left

This kind of colour problem is very well handled by Pixinsight's Dynamic Background Extraction (assuming your Bayer settings are correct. To be honest I think it would look odder than this if they weren't but I can't be sure.) DBE works particularly well on galaxy images because you have plenty of neutral background sky around them. It will put out a background sky with RGB set to the same values and give a decent colour balance further up the brightnesses as well. This was just done on a screen grab of the posted image. As Martin says, the galaxy's still a bit red.

Olly

CC_M51_DBE.jpg

Archived