Man Killed by Meteorite

Charic

.......had to happen one day!

Quote " Indian scientists are investigating whether a man was killed by a meteorite, which if confirmed would be the first recorded death from falling fragments of space rock in almost 200 years "

If this turns out to be factual (a big IF I tend to think) I believe it would be the 1st recorded instance of a human fatality from meteorite strike.

A woman in Alabama was hit a glancing blow by a meteorite in 1954 but she is the only known person to be struck by one:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/02/130220-russia-meteorite-ann-hodges-science-space-hit/

It's rumoured that a dog was killed by the Nakhla Meteorite in 1911 but there is little credible evidence of this. One meteorite dealer has adopted the title though, despite the lack of evidence:

http://www.nakhladogmeteorites.com/

12 minutes ago, Dave Lloyd said:

There may have been a few unrecorded casualties in the Tunguska area I'm thinking!

None recorded though. Apparently the area is very, very remote. There would probably have been quite a lot of wildlife casualties.

It was an airburst rather than a ground impact.

22 minutes ago, John said:

You can imagine a couple of dinosaurs saying "how about we migrate to the Yucatan Peninsula area this season ? - I hear the climate is real nice down there !" :grin:

Too many mossies, darling. How about a nice offshore condo in India? Those Deccan Traps keep the sea lovely and warm.

Olly

Quote: .....NASA scientists in the United States are saying in a public statement that the photographs posted on-line were more consistent with “a land based explosion” than with something from space ?
It also looks like the guy died from his injuries, flying glass? rather than a direct hit  from a  lump of meteorite!

Archived