Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun Full Discs 2nd Feb 2016

philj

Taken with the Oly EM10 (mk1) mirrorless through the Lunt LS60 with a modified 2x barlow.

Ive been messing with this camera on lunar and solar for some time now and it gives superb lunar images but have been trying to get better solar and I reckon Im about there with the barlow mod. This just increases the image size nicely. A 1.25 to 2" adapter gave its all in the mod as well as an Orion 2x barlow. I made it so I could adjust the disc so it just fills the FOV of the EM10 so I can get as much in as possible. I have some minor newtons rings coming through so I have a little misalignment but that can be adjusted out next sunny day

FDcolourem10.jpg

fdmono.jpg

FDinvert.jpg

EM10barlow.jpg

Hooray, :hello2: great images, and I'm not just saying that because you used an Olympus E-M10 :smile:.  It's nice to have someone else using the same system, though by the look of your images I need to brush up on my technique!! 

So you just used a x2, 1.25 fitting barlow in a 2 inch to 1.25 inch adapter?  With my E-M5 I use a T2/1.25 adapter that comes with a lens.  This is a link to it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351299366230?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It gives me a Solar image just a bit less than the width of the frame.  The only problem with the above is that the screw fitting of the 1.25 lens is non-standard so you can't put anything else in it like standard filters or barlow elements.  To give me room to experiment I've taken delivery of the following today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301114123915?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've tested it on arrival and it is indeed a standard filter thread.

Did you take single frames like I do or something else Phil?  I'll probably stay with single frames at least for the foreseeable future as it would be too limiting to have to cart a driven mount, power supply, laptop etc etc up the steps into the garden area where I generally observe.  If I had to do it then it would certainly limit the opportunities to observe in very brief windows of sunshine.

Cheers, Paul

:icon_biggrin: Thanks Paul.

That looks to be about the equivalent of what I made, if you can get the disc filling most of the frame then its similar to what I was aiming for. As for filters, Ive not tried any with any of my cams yet but when I do white light with the wedge it, ll come in handy.

I took 20 subs in Raw, converted to 16bit tiff, one set exposed at 1/125s for surface and one set at 1/6s f8r proms. I stacked each set in registax 6 then merged layers in photoshop to give the HDR image

Thanks Phil, blimey, I wish I'd never asked, that's far too technical for me :laugh2: - I think I'll have to stick with my single frames!  By the sound of it, to do all that takes more than the 15 mts I'll spend on processing an image, and that is assuming I could do it anyway :smile:.

I recently bought a used Lunt wedge (last week) and in my two attempts with it so far, I was knocked out with how much better it was visually and imaging wise compared with the glass filters I've used in the past.  I'll experiment with that as well when I have the chance. 

Thank again, I'll look forward to seeing more of your pics.

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

Thanks Phil, blimey, I wish I'd never asked, that's far too technical for me :laugh2: - I think I'll have to stick with my single frames!  By the sound of it, to do all that takes more than the 15 mts I'll spend on processing an image, and that is assuming I could do it anyway :smile:.

I recently bought a used Lunt wedge (last week) and in my two attempts with it so far, I was knocked out with how much better it was visually and imaging wise compared with the glass filters I've used in the past.  I'll experiment with that as well when I have the chance. 

Thank again, I'll look forward to seeing more of your pics.

Its not that difficult Paul, actually the time consuming part is waiting for the Olympus Viewer to convert the 20 raw subs to tiff. 

Try doing a stack of LF jpeg subs to begin with say 10 initially. Jpegs are lossy compared to Raw but process quicker so you can practice on them to see how straightforward it is. Then maybe try Raw files later. 

Hmm the images look a bit washed out on here so Ive turned the lights down a bit on this one

FDcolourem10b.jpg

Many thanks Phil, do you know , I think I'll actually try that when I have time.  I'm away from Thursday until Sunday, but after that I'll do it as soon as I can.  I'll let you know how I get on.  Many thanks for your expertise!  I like the revamped image too!  Thanks again.

Archived