NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thoughts on the Startravel 102

DevonSkies

12 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

There's a similar question(I think ) here with an answer which might help :

Thanks Heather.. That has lead me to this. I have emailed FLO to check.   https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-2-nosepiece-with-2-filter-thread.html. Although I am not sure that it is the right way around.  They will tell me for sure. 

Edited by Starslayer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Starslayer said:

Thanks Heather.. That has lead me to this. I have emailed FLO to check.   https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-2-nosepiece-with-2-filter-thread.html

Glad I could help . If it is what you need, and it turns out  FLO don't have the relevant bit in stock, but TS in Germany do, I can vouch for their (stereotypical) efficiency, I bought an AZ6 mount from TS last month. Anything which (like that) costs under £135 gets no UK customs added import VAT ,import duty, or handling fee, you just pay their top of page price and delivery charge.

Heather

• Like 1

So after all that it seems like the adapter I seek ( ie female 2" to male sct) does not exist so........ next best thing. https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/rvo-2-male-push-fit-to-sct-male-adaptor.html

Just a little concerned with the weight of the xlt being held just on push fit and a couple of thumb screws. They did point out though that a 2" dieletic would weigh the same and that is push fit too. 

Edited by Starslayer

On 16/08/2021 at 17:35, Starslayer said:

So after all that it seems like the adapter I seek ( ie female 2" to male sct) does not exist so........ next best thing. https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/rvo-2-male-push-fit-to-sct-male-adaptor.html

Just a little concerned with the weight of the xlt being held just on push fit and a couple of thumb screws. They did point out though that a 2" dieletic would weigh the same and that is push fit too. 

Brilliant - the adapter has arrived and despite RVO confirming this would work it does not.  The xlt screws ok to start with but when at the end of travel the thread is not deep enough and the xlt simply spins on the adapter when it should be tight. Back to the drawing board and a discussion with RVO regarding their advice.  

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

Brilliant - the adapter has arrived and despite RVO confirming this would work it does not.  The xlt screws ok to start with but when at the end of travel the thread is not deep enough and the xlt simply spins on the adapter when it should be tight. Back to the drawing board and a discussion with RVO regarding their advice.  

What a pain . Sorry you are having no luck with this.

It does look as if a different diagonal might be the only solution .

Heather

22 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

What a pain . Sorry you are having no luck with this.

It does look as if a different diagonal might be the only solution .

Heather

Mmm. Annoying to say the least especially when told something will work and it does not.  

If you are trying to do what I think you are trying to do with the adapter that has just arrived, I'm not sure it would work with the Startravel 102 even if you could get the short 2 inch push fit adapter firmly attached to the SCT adapter on the diagonal. To reach focus with the ST102 and a 2 inch diagonal you will need to be able to fully insert the 2 inch barrel into the scope focuser, so the end of the focuser is right up against the body of the diagonal. The SCT adapter will prevent you from doing this as far as I can see.

There is a version of the Celestron 2 inch diagonal that comes with both an SCT and a 2 inch push fit adapter. With this diagonal you unscrew the SCT fitting from the diagonal body completely and screw on the 2 inch push fit barrel in it's place. The diagonal will then fully insert into 2 inch scope drawtubes, as it needs to.

If you could just get hold of the 2 inch push fit barrel part, I reckon there is a fair chance that it could work the same way with your XLT diagonal.

Here is the diagonal that I'm referring to:

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/celestron-2-diagonal.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxvqUtcu78gIVweR3Ch3N-g5_EAQYBSABEgJsjfD_BwE

Edited by John

8 hours ago, John said:

If you are trying to do what I think you are trying to do with the adapter that has just arrived, I'm not sure it would work with the Startravel 102 even if you could get the short 2 inch push fit adapter firmly attached to the SCT adapter on the diagonal. To reach focus with the ST102 and a 2 inch diagonal you will need to be able to fully insert the 2 inch barrel into the scope focuser, so the end of the focuser is right up against the body of the diagonal. The SCT adapter will prevent you from doing this as far as I can see.

There is a version of the Celestron 2 inch diagonal that comes with both an SCT and a 2 inch push fit adapter. With this diagonal you unscrew the SCT fitting from the diagonal body completely and screw on the 2 inch push fit barrel in it's place. The diagonal will then fully insert into 2 inch scope drawtubes, as it needs to.

If you could just get hold of the 2 inch push fit barrel part, I reckon there is a fair chance that it could work the same way with your XLT diagonal.

Here is the diagonal that I'm referring to:

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/celestron-2-diagonal.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxvqUtcu78gIVweR3Ch3N-g5_EAQYBSABEgJsjfD_BwE

That certainly looks ‘the part’. Will research more later with Celestron. Thank you. 

Love my little ST102, views of M42 and M45 are beautiful through it. l have had it about 7 years now and bought it second hand for £40. l love it so much l have instructed my family when the time comes to have my ashes put in it so l can always look to the stars lol. 

• Like 2

On 19/08/2021 at 07:19, Starslayer said:

That certainly looks ‘the part’. Will research more later with Celestron. Thank you. 

This is really bugging me now.. Got on to Celestron help who say they reckon that the separate adapter part will not be available on its own. Referred me to their technical support email team. Awaits response.  🤔

Celestron's response.

Hi Simon,
I wish I could answer that question with certainty, but frankly, I don't know if the threads in both diagonal bodies are the same. I do not have a dielectric diagonal at this location to see if a swap will work.

I have actually done a make shift job on this now by getting an o ring to match and using the 2" nose piece adapter from my Baader Hyperion Zoom. Not sure how much I would trust it on an eq but Alt Az ok.  If anything , after all this the it is borderline balancing the mount and the tube has to be slid within the rings as far forward as possible. 

Appreciate everybody's help and Adam at RVO has been particularly helpful in the circumstances.  In fact he is still 'on the case'.