Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone used a c14

I may have a chance of the above scope ota only from a family friend for silly money bit of a barn find I suppose you could call been boxed for years but kept indoors.I've fancied an sct just for the fact that the ep is at the other end and I can sit down to observe(my legs have neuropathy)

I have seen a couple of videos on YouTube with some old boy struggling to mount his(no offence meant to anyone on here) so

1 Are they that heavy?

2 Will a Neq6 support it for Visual only.

I will add that for short distances I have carried my whole setup weights an all.I Can't resell it (insulting) and definitely won't be doing a Darth Vader.So just wondering if it's feasible

Best regards Jonn.

Weight wise, the C14 is a little over 20kg, the recommended limits for the NEQ6 is 18kg for astrophotography and 25kg for visual so in those respects, all ok (just)(from your post it sounds that you're thinking visual).

I've never had the fortune to even get close to one of these beasts but it's not an offer I would not turn down.

If it's not been used for a while, might be worth getting it serviced; the grease on tube the mirror slides up and down can get congealed making focusing unpleasant and induce mirror flop. If it was me, I'd be going for it like the proverbial rat up the proverbial drainpipe. It would be a wonderful addition to my 6" and 8" cats.

Happy viewing

Yes I would say absolute minimum you'd need is an NEQ6. It's dead easy to mount these large Sct's onto an EQ mount without struggling.

With the corrector plate cap in place, stand it on a stool placed near to the scope axis (corrector down and dovetail towards mount) - make sure it's supported all round the circumference. Then (without weights) loosen the ra/dec axes and swing the saddle round to mate with the dovetail and tighten. Slip weights on the bar at balance position, swing each axis into place hoisting scope up, and lock the clutches. Simples :)

Thanks Brantuk I've seen the video of them doing that and yes I should snap an arm to get it but then I have to find 1k for a mount but at least knowing it's feasible a good thing(looking at empty bank account and moths coming out of wallet) why is it that when you buy one thing with this hobby you always have to buy at least one other thing.

Hi Ya Jonn, go for it mate - you know if you don't and you miss the opportunity you'll be kicking yourself - would be lovely to have a look through the thing - spending a few hours looking at the sky with 14" aperture sounds just about right to me - I know the Planets have been a bit sparse in the early evening sky for a while now and some say that larger apertures suffer from the atmosphere more so than a smaller scope but with Jupiter and Mars this time around I would just love to hang a "Binoviewer" off the back of it and did you mention that you have to buy at least "ONE" other thing - oh sorry does this now make it two!!

Let us know when it "lands"

Paul.

I've seen pictures of EQ6:s loaded with more than a C14 but when I put my C14 on a  2007 EQ6, 23 kg with the CGE dovetail, it didn't like it at all even though it was perfectly balanced.

The sound of the motors made me take the C14 off at once and I wouldn't use it even for visual. Others may have different experiences but I'd recommend at least a CGE. If you can find one of these second-hand, especially the ones after 2006, you can probably use it even for imaging. Just my 2p.

/Lars

I've used C14's a few times, one at Kelling Heath a few years ago gave me the best view of Jupiter I've ever yet had (I have two 16" SCT's). If I was in the position of purchasing an OTA but not a suitable mount, I would make a Dobsonian type base for it to use until I could.

An NEQ6 Pro needn't cost a grand - this one is a particularly nice example and attracted a good sale price - but they usually come in around £600'ish at 2yrs old and good working order.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=104704

Keep your eye on astro buy/sell daily and you'll find one that suits your pocket - eventually. But certainly go for the scope ota - sounds like a good deal. :)

I used C14 for planetary/lunar/solar imaging on EQ6 with extended counterweight shaft. That worked. What was a problem was thermal drift - the ambient temperature changed quicker than the telescope could cool down. So after turning fan-cooled sometimes I had like 1 hour before thermal currents took over the OTA. For DS imaging they aren't that practical.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 18:02, brantuk said:

Yes I would say absolute minimum you'd need is an NEQ6. It's dead easy to mount these large Sct's onto an EQ mount without struggling.

With the corrector plate cap in place, stand it on a stool placed near to the scope axis (corrector down and dovetail towards mount) - make sure it's supported all round the circumference. Then (without weights) loosen the ra/dec axes and swing the saddle round to mate with the dovetail and tighten. Slip weights on the bar at balance position, swing each axis into place hoisting scope up, and lock the clutches. Simples :)

Thanks for this...I have genuinely never thought of loading my C9.25 onto the mount in this way...

I always struggle to hold the OTA in the pit of my stomach whilst I fumble around in the semi dark, trying to drop it into the vertical ADM dual saddle.

Usually when I do this, I tend to accidently push on the mount, which no doubt messes up the polar alignment.

I will try your method next time, as it sounds a whole lot simpler!

Thanks again...I can't believe I never thought of doing it this way.

I've looked through one. The trouble, for me, is the focal length which imposes tunnel vision for deep sky. You can get great planetary views but so many nice targets are ruled out by the focal length.

I even feel that about my 10 inch SCT so the C14 will never be for me. However, it's easy to see why they suit those who do want that kind of FL.

Olly

Archived