Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Below Freezing Temperatures

The only stupid question is the one you dont ask !!!

I have used camera gear regularly for long periods in temps down to minus 25ºC with no ill effects whatsoever.

My scope and associated gear - cameras, filter wheel, electronic focuser, mount etc have regularly been covered in heavy haw frost for many hours with no ill effects.

The main issues I have found are that when its below freezing you can halve the expected capacity of any battery and last night (-10º for 5 hours) the cables from the mount and associated equipment were covered in haw frost/ice and were extremely stiff.

In the past I have brought my scope and anything attached to it inside after a session and let it thaw/dry naturally but when my obsy is finished it will stay outside permanently.

The only stupid question is the one you dont ask !!!

I have used camera gear regularly for long periods in temps down to minus 25ºC with no ill effects whatsoever.

My scope and associated gear - cameras, filter wheel, electronic focuser, mount etc have regularly been covered in heavy haw frost for many hours with no ill effects.

The main issues I have found are that when its below freezing you can halve the expected capacity of any battery and last night (-10º for 5 hours) the cables from the mount and associated equipment were covered in haw frost/ice and were extremely stiff.

In the past I have brought my scope and anything attached to it inside after a session and let it thaw/dry naturally but when my obsy is finished it will stay outside permanently.

Luckily, i don't have a battery to worry about, as i have a manual scope, still i don't think i would be able to cope with hours outside in these temps  :shocked:

Hi .....my scope is stored outside in an obsey/shed and is stored there all winter.  My own personal record for outside imaging (last winter) is -14 degrees C...though through the winter we do get quite colder temperatures with no adverse effects on the scope and gear at all.

Cheers

Roger

Scope is outside all the time in winter. Coldest I've done any imaging at was -15C. No I'll effects to anything yet. Laptop has a SSD so no spinning disk of rust to worry about. Nice to do it from inside the house with a nice rum and hot cocoa. -5C or so is my limit for staying outside. I don't mind that at all. Got some usb powered electric gloves that work not to bad. This spring I start on a small obsy.

Archived