Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW Evo 150 & SW AZ4 Mount

I've owned both but I would not use the two together. Even my ED120 is a bit much for the AZ-4 other than for short low/medium power sessions. The Evostar 150 is quite a bit longer and heavier than the ED120.

Hi thanks for the replies, I have used my Evo 120 on the AZ4 and it's pretty good when properly balanced but I would imagine that it's considerably lighter then the ED120 and it's much lighter then my Evo 150. It's just with the unreliable weather of late I find myself going for the quick set up time of the AZ4 rather then the 30 - 40 minutes it takes me to set up and align my EQ mount, as a result my poor Evo 150 sits unused for months at a time :(

Moonshane, I must admit I have been looking at 6" f5 newts for the AZ4 but I'm trying to refrain from adding to the collection :icon_biggrin:  

I'd agree with Jules re the TAL100rs being at about the maximum limit for the AZ4.

I think that it's the length of the scope at F10,rather than it's weight that pushes things to the limit.

An F5 scope should be a piece of cake for it,however.

My experience comes from the steel legged AZ4-2 version,which I would imagine is a bit more stable than the Aluminium legged,cheaper counterpart.

Until very recently I ran an ST150 (the f/5) on an AZ4 with aluminium legs. In my view, in all but the most ideal conditions the AZ4 was overwhelmed, although that didn't stop me having some enjoyable sessions. I imagine an EVO would be very unwieldy on an aluminium AZ4 though; can't comment on the steel.

Paul

Archived