Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC11 help

Beardy Bob

Hi folks. Until recently I was an avid deep sky imager, but a recent move has meant I've sold all my gear (well, most of it, keep an eye out in the classifieds for the last few bits!). Anyway, would you believe that as soon as I sell my deep sky gear off a relative buys a star for my daughter! So I was hoping that with the relevant info (below and attached) that someone could take a nice pic (or at least some decent subs for me to process) of the area centred around ngc11 (which is where her star is), so that she has a nice, sparkly, colourful picture of it.

It's just away from M31 in andromeda - RA 0h 09m 32.92s, Dec 37°31' 27.90". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Bob

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Craig. Apparently so! It would seem that it's just a random one from somewhere within ngc11 so it's not as if they've renamed Betelgeuse!

I'm genuinely surprised I didn't know you could do this. So does the naming all go in some sort of official register, to be there forever along with all the ones we know? 

I'm genuinely surprised I didn't know you could do this. So does the naming all go in some sort of official register, to be there forever along with all the ones we know?

I genuinely don't know, but if they're all just random stars within galaxies I reckon they can just make it up! I'm not telling my daughter that though. She's very pleased and a photo will hopefully fuel her interest.

Yeah, definite risky going to Betelgeuse on holiday!

Thanks Starlight1, that would be awesome. I don't mind which format it's in. I think it's going to be mostly stars - not much in the way of nebulae. So narrowband probably isn't necessary, but if you've got it set up that way and its easier then that's all good!

Yes, that sounds great. It'll largely be a star field with a small galaxy (or two) in it, so Ha, Lum at 1x1 sounds good for tight stars. I'm guessing standard RGB colour will be the quickest way to add some colour, but as long as there's some variation in star colour to pull out I don't mind between RGB/narrowband.

Also, I don't insist on processing it myself. I'm capable of doing so, but didn't realise how large the frames would be! So I'm more than happy for you to do it if it's easier than sending all the subs, as long as it's full res.

Yes, that sounds great. It'll largely be a star field with a small galaxy (or two) in it, so Ha, Lum at 1x1 sounds good for tight stars. I'm guessing standard RGB colour will be the quickest way to add some colour, but as long as there's some variation in star colour to pull out I don't mind between RGB/narrowband.

Also, I don't insist on processing it myself. I'm capable of doing so, but didn't realise how large the frames would be! So I'm more than happy for you to do it if it's easier than sending all the subs, as long as it's full res.

I can add Olll and S2 so with the Ha x lum you can make it RGB or LRGB,  hubble, I do post processing so you have 4 files to work with  , its your image when it all put in as one it down to you .

• 3 weeks later...

Taking 40 5mins subs for Bob last night , but soming telling me this is not the right place reading from sub is.!!!!!!!!!!!!RA      =     143.536440777822 / Object Right Ascension in degrees
DEC     =     37.3881781914894 / Object Declination in degrees
CRVAL1  =     143.536440777822 / RA at image center in degrees
CRVAL2  =     37.3881781914894 / DEC at image center in degrees
OBJCTRA = '09 34 08.746'       / Object Right Ascension in hms
OBJCTDEC= '+37 23 17.441'      / Object Declination in degrees
AIRMASS =     1.05109097868697 / Average airmass
OBJCTALT=     72.2987805234984 / Altitude of the object
CENTALT =     72.2987805234984 / Altitude of the object
FOCALLEN=                  530 / The focal length of the telescope in mm
FLIPPED =                    F / Is image flipped
ANGLE   =     271.371146987242 / Image angle
SCALE   =     1.76574851150993 / Image scale (arcsec / pixel)
PIXSCALE=     1.76574851150993 / Image scale (arcsec / pixel)
XPIXSZ  =            4.5390625 / pixel size in microns (with binning)
YPIXSZ  =            4.5390625 / pixel size in microns (with binning)

ngc11 jpeg.jpg

Hiya. You're quite right, that's not the right place. I see what's happened though. That image is from RA 9 hours, and the star you're looking for is at RA 9 minutes! Nice image though, really crisp. You're camera is clearly behaving itself again!

It's in Andromeda, quite close to the great Andromeda galaxy with the naked eye.

I realised the mistake I made at around 12 PM with the camera away I was doing some visual I had two setups and forgot to change it back over to Computer running the mount West to east Visual running east to west or is this the other way round , i would have to shut down and start all over again. Do you fancy buying your daughter a another star in this part of the sky. lol

Archived