Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC11 help

Beardy Bob

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8 January 2016 at 07:19, Craig20264 said:

You can buy stars? 

I think a number of different companies/organisations now offer this service. For example, downunder, the Sydney Observatory has their own survey catalogue and they sell (and presumably maintain) naming rights in their register.

http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/star/

Bob, you can download images from the DR12 Science Archive Survey site.

The site intro states:

"The SDSS-III is a large imaging and spectroscopic survey of the Northern sky, using a 2.5m optical telescope at Apache Point Observation in New Mexico."

Hhere is the link with your star co-ordinates filled in:

http://dr12.sdss3.org/fields/raDec?ra=00%3A09%3A32.92&dec=37%3A31%3A27.90

They have various FITS versions you can download.  Here is the JPEG version:

image.thumb.jpeg.238b9d35fa9fd4ae65a2779

It is not centred on your co-ordinates so you will need to find your star..  Also, I assume the survey catalogue is based around EPOCH 2000 as the image above is similar to the one shown by Sky Safari for the same location and EPOCH.. Did they tell you the EPOCH of the co-ordinates they gave you?

Thanks Mike. Unfortunately there were no EPOCH coordinates and the database images aren't centred on the star I want, so I wouldn't know where it was. I really like the idea of an image made by meaningfully pointed at her star anyway. If only I still had all my kit! Thankfully Starlight1 is on it for me with his nice, newly refurbished camera! That 2.5m telescope produces some nice images though doesn't it!

Yes Bob I look in to this to see if that will help , and yes it do to a point. I downloaded ncg11 so the mount will go there then I can check sub with this and then move over to the right place

this time . and looking at last subs think I going for 15 or 20mins each as star count was low in 5mins subs.

Archived