NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barnard 33 final version for 2015

MarsG76

Hi all,

This image is the complete version of the Barnard 33 system HAlpha image I posted about 3 weeks ago.

The Horsehead nebula intrigued me as a kid and this image and framing was something I wanted to photograph (or fantasized about photographing) in 1991 when I was a kid using a Tasco 60mmx900 refractor on a alt-az mount. So I guess I can say that this image is nearly 25 years in the making. I did image the horsehead in the past but not framed like this with the flame nebula.

Just thinking back about pestering my parent to buy be a t-adapter/ring kit and a SLR "because I was going to photograph the sky like the pros..." Ha, lucky it was too expensive for them to splash out on, knowing what I know now, no pictures would have been taken, potentially a small fortune would have been wasted on film and developing, and even fast forwarding to the time when I restarted the hobby, digital was well in the main arena, so even the SLR, unless used for normal photography, would have been gathering dust... But of course as kids we knew everything, we knew it best.... where in reality we KNEW NOTHING AT ALL. How history keeps repeating... :-/

This image consists of RGB, HAlpha and Hbeta, as well as OIII subs taken across November and December last year.

The Hbeta and OIII only had a bit of data of the flame nebula and only Hbeta showed a bit of the horsehead nebula. Looking at the subs I do say that imaging Barnard 33 through Hbeta or OIII filters is not necessary and I think the image would look no different without spending the nights capturing those subs.

Hope you all like it, I'm happy how it turned out by using a modded, uncooled DSLR.

Clear skies,

MG

post-43662-0-96436600-1452277890_thumb.j

Thanks guys... Looking at the image,it looks rougher and has banding like effect through it... The original processed image looks a lot smoother... Recompression of the JPEG as I posted it perhaps???

I'm reposting the same image but I've shrunk the diamentions and done a bit of chroma noise reduction to try to overcome any unnecessary recompression....

After previewing the post, it still doesn't look as smooth but it's a bit better.... Definitely compression artifacts.

post-43662-0-87603200-1452369104_thumb.j

Archived