Orion XT8 recommended eyepieces

oblivion19

Hey guys,

I would need some recommendations in regards to getting new eyepieces for my Orion XT8. I have browsed the forum and even found a similar post where I saw that 4 EP are "a must":  5mm, 10mm, 16mm and 25mm. I found a nice set of Baader EPs (starter set) which has the 5, 10, 17 and 24mm EPs. Is this a good choice, in terms of brand as well?

Also, I would need a good 2x Barlow. Any suggestions?

Budget wise, I would say the limit would be £500.

Thanks.

I couldn't find the edit button, so sorry for double posting.]

I actually looked at some reviews and people are loving the Naglers. I could potentially go for an EP each month to build my set. What should I go for first? 

At a focal ratio of f/5.9, the 5mm will only give satisfying views if the seeing conditions are excellent, or the target is the moon.  I'd make it the last one to buy.

Regarding Baader Hyperions.  I have the full set (5mm-31mm).  They're nice eyepieces that will serve you well.  However, they are a bit "soft" when compared to the comparably-priced ES 82o eyepieces.  (I also have a full set of those, 4.7mm-30mm, that I use in my f/5 Dob.)

Added later...

OBW: Of the Hyperion series, the 24mm is the "weakest link" and the 17mm is the strongest.

If you want to buy ES 82o eyepieces, get the 2" 18mm first.  It is arguably the best eyepiece in the world for DSO hunting and observing, and I've used 'em all.

I have the 18mm ES 82 and it is excellent, but not the very best IMHO. It will most likely not be the limiting factor in what you see thats for sure. I use mine to find galaxies and the switch to a higher power eyepiece to obs them.

The 24mm ES would be a great widefield and will work well for nebulae with UHC/OIII filters, same goes for the monster 30mm ES 82, but I might look at the 24mm first. A 12mm something would be good for faint DSO in your scope, I wouldn't go lower ( focal length) for this however.

Then the planets/lunar....here a Pentax XW or a Delos will give near orthoscopic views and with a nice TFOV and good eyerelief. An 8mm or 7mm in one of these would serve you well.

There are so many good EP's its hard to choose from!

I moved from Naglers to Ethos but Naglers are still exeedingly good :smiley:

I still have the 31mm Type 5 Nagler though.

Nothing goes deeper than a Delos!

Except a Baader Classic Ortho and a Zeiss ZAO-II ortho, apparently  :smiley:

I moved from Naglers to Ethos but Naglers are still exeedingly good :smiley:

I still have the 31mm Type 5 Nagler though.

Except a Baader Classic Ortho and a Zeiss ZAO-II ortho, apparently  :smiley:

Sorry John, but my 17.3mm Delos goes marginally deeper than my 18mm BCO. However, £50 vs £280.... And I haven't done the comparison on any other focal lengths.

I now really really want a Zeiss or two..... Possibly the only way to make TV/Pentax look like a budget option...

Paul

Sorry John, but my 17.3mm Delos goes marginally deeper than my 18mm BCO. However, £50 vs £280.... And I haven't done the comparison on any other focal lengths.

I now really really want a Zeiss or two..... Possibly the only way to make TV/Pentax look like a budget option...

Paul

The results I've seen were from 20" + scopes under pitch black skies comparing 17th magnitude galaxies.

As I don't fit any of the above I'm more than happy to compromise with my Ethos / Pentax XW's :smiley:

Ha ha. Pea Shooters! Dobs do seem to be growing don't they.

I did do the comparison on stars rather than galaxies and took some time over it. I was using a bog standard 10" Dob from a pretty standard UK back garden (NELM 5.5 ish). The results were marginal but, surprisingly, the Delos came out on top. Could it be that the 0.7mm difference swayed the jury?

I may have to get a couple more BCO's for comparison. There is a simplicity about them that I really like.

Probably, heading a bit too far off thread now. Apologies to the OP.

Paul

What eyepieces have you got currently?

So far a couple of Plossl - 9mm and 20mm. With the 9mm I tried looking at Jupiter and I could barely notice the bands. Granted, I live in central London. Speaking of light pollution, are those filters any good?

If we are talking TeleVue eyepieces there are a few that have posted that have a good selection, me too.

I tend to agree with wide FOV for lower powers and tighter, ie Delos for higher powers, that is what I have done. Naglers are superb eyepieces, I have had 9 of them and not been disappointed and come up S/H more often than Ethos and for less money.

However the Budget will not allow for wall to wall black and green beauties. I suggest looking at ExSc 82 degree range sold by FLO or the secondhand market looking for the same or Meade Series 5000, they have the same glass elements.

I believe the Maxvision 24mm Ultra Wide is still available, this is the same as Meade 24mm UWA and the ExSc 82 degree, it is a brilliant eyepiece and I wish I had kept mine.

I would not buy Baader Hyperions for a fastish scope, the edges are not up to the job to the same degree as the others I mention.

You also may want to think about this, I bought almost all of the Meade Series 5000 ranges and lost alot of money selling them after seeing how good TeleVue are. If I could turn the clock back I would go straight for the honey pot, I would have saved in the long run but we are all different.

I think your scope is a 1200mm focal length?

On this basis what you have is going to give 60x and 133x so not too bad a start really. If you can look through them comfortably then I'd try and build around them. If you went for a 32mm eyepiece and a 12mm eyepiece along with a 2x barlow then you'd have a decent range of magnifications from the maximum of maybe 200x and the widest field in 1.25". I'd estimate if you bought used, then you'd get all this for <£100. You could then start to gauge what sort of observing you prefer and then build a more expensive set over time. This way your experience will dictate what's missing rather than trying to guess. Buying used you will also be able to sell for about what you pay so not much if any loss.

I want to correct what EP I have:

1x 9mm Sirius Plossl

1x 25mm Sirius Plossl. 

I think you are right Moonshane, but I have this feeling of cheating my way into having some "wow" moments and buying something expensive presuming it's worth it.

I like the ES 18mm 82 degrees one, so I will get that and one 6-7mm and 24mm (better version), alongside a good 2x barlow.

Thanks guys for your help. Good to be part of such great community.

Archived