NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

More lousy weather to come

RobertI

I had been fortunate enough to enjoy a spate of short successive lunar sessions in the past few nights from the confines of my restrictive backyard. This concluded last night with a focus on the near full moon and a tour of some of the classic star systems in Orion and Gemini. I was even slightly tempted to take full advantage of the clear sky to get up very early and hike to my allotment for the comet. However this would understandably have definitely not gone down well with my Daughter so will wait for the next opportunity, should it occur.

The weather has since returned back to being grim and yet again very (very) wet. In these circumstances whenever and whatever the wait to attempt any astronomy is irrelevant compared to the desperate situation that people in the flooded areas are and will yet again be experiencing. 

The weather has since returned back to being grim and yet again very (very) wet. In these circumstances whenever and whatever the wait to attempt any astronomy is irrelevant compared to the desperate situation that people in the flooded areas are and will yet again be experiencing.

I would never equate my wait for clear skies to the predicaments people are facing in trying to save their homes and livelihoods.

It's simply a moan nothing else.

Ed

I would never equate my wait for clear skies to the predicaments people are facing in trying to save their homes and livelihoods.

Ed

Absolutely, my point is that eventually there will be opportunities for stargazing but current conditions are abnormal and quite extreme. 

Ed

A very poignant statement Ed. and whilst we can all curse the weather mother nature throws at us, 

we learn quickly that cursing, whilst maybe relieving the stress, solves nothing else.

There are thousands of people both in the UK, and other countries, who are suffering devastation due to weather conditions.

I think if we reflect on that, and generate  some compassion for the victims, then we may console ourselves with the certainty, that the 

celestial inhabitants will remain as they always will as far as we are concerned,  and when natures wrath has ceased down here, we can turn to gaze on that splendour

once more.

I think I'll take up Philosophy  :grin:.

Unfortunately much of the colder air is trapped within the Arctic Circle by this crazy jet-stream. What's the bets that if it does slacken off during the winter months the weather will swing, as if with malice, to extreme cold?

I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel with this winter.

It rained very heavily again this afternoon. I was at work all Christmas day controlling the coastal waste water pumping stations hereabouts. The volumes of surface water run-off into the sewere are astronomical but luckily we have the sea to pump it into. Just inland is a community that was washed out by the first round of floods, The only way out for the water there is via the River Wyre. Unfortunately that's how the water arrived.  Nowhere to pump it to either. They will have had a thoroughly miserable Christmas day. Watching the river...

More rain for Boxing Day and I'll be at work, pumping all day again :(

Having moaned about the weather, I have to say that I do really enjoy researching and planning my next observing sessions and I am having plenty of time to do that on these cloudy/rainy nights. We have some wonderful tools and resources to help us, my primary tool being Sky Safari Pro 5, which is fun to use for serious planning or just to scan the constellations in the absecne of the real thing. :)

Having just been out in the car for an emergency chicken (roast) and seeing how bad the roads are i see plenty of places are having it very bad again, this puts any little moan regarding astro weather into total insignificance, and i for one will shut up as of now, my heart goes out to the poor individuals that have had there homes ruined with this freaky weather

I don't feel too bad at the moment as I'm saving for a mount to dip my tie into AP. I'm content to nip out with the binos when a break occurs. It must be truly frustrating to have all the imaging gear lying dormant with no hope on the horizon, and at the best time of year. ( For those selling up I'm on the lookout for an EQ6 or HEQ5 )

I would of course echo the sentiments expressed by others around the floods. A hobby pales into insignificance really.

Unfortunately much of the colder air is trapped within the Arctic Circle by this crazy jet-stream. What's the bets that if it does slacken off during the winter months the weather will swing, as if with malice, to extreme cold?

I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel with this winter.

It rained very heavily again this afternoon. I was at work all Christmas day controlling the coastal waste water pumping stations hereabouts. The volumes of surface water run-off into the sewere are astronomical but luckily we have the sea to pump it into. Just inland is a community that was washed out by the first round of floods, The only way out for the water there is via the River Wyre. Unfortunately that's how the water arrived.  Nowhere to pump it to either. They will have had a thoroughly miserable Christmas day. Watching the river...

More rain for Boxing Day and I'll be at work, pumping all day again :(

Paul if you have any further insightful updates concerning the condition of the Wyre could you send me a PM thanks, I believe that Garstang and St Micheals are in difficulty. My parents and Sisters family live fairly close to the Wyre at Little Thornton,  they are monitoring the river level and water table, the manhole covers at my sisters have blown out and they are combating flood water in the garden.

I feel for the people in the areas of flooding. I myself live beside a river and have first hand experience of the fear of having a surging river right on your doorstep in the middle if the night and the reality of a flooded home.

Yes, in my childhood I lived in a house next to a river which broke its banks more than once.  We were never flooded, but came very close.  It must be horrific for the people who are having to cope with the flooding at the moment, particularly those who were just starting to get things cleaned up only to be flooded again and utterly soul-destroying for those who have seen their home and/or livelihood smashed to pieces by the water.  It's a dreadful situation.

James

My own County is suffering hell with this extraordinary stormy weather.

I have to confess to feeling very sad too, about that lovely little St. Michaels in the Wyre.

Mrs Barkis and and and I visit Fleetwood on a very regular basis in the Summer months, and we pass through St. Michaels. It always gives us a pleasant feeling going there, it is such a beautiful place. The Church is striking, with the blue faced clock in the tower.

Very sad indeed to know it is having a very bad time. Our sympathy goes out to the residents there.

Paul if you have any further insightful updates concerning the condition of the Wyre could you send me a PM thanks, I believe that Garstang and St Micheals are in difficulty. My parents and Sisters family live fairly close to the Wyre at Little Thornton, they are monitoring the river level and water table, the manhole covers at my sisters have blown out and they are combating flood water in the garden.

Sorry only just seen this....been busy

Archived