Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M45

higgins

Lots of nebulosity, excellent focus and tracking, some dark circular artefacts (probably related to stellar reflections becaue I don't think they are dust bunnies) and, as Stub Mandrel said, colour waiting in the wings. It will be there but finding it will involve a number of tricks.

Olly

Edit. Maybe they are dust bunnies. Close to the chip though, if they are. I don't know.

You have Photoshop? Try this.

-Two copy layers.

-Topy layer, set to blend mode Soft Light.

- Flatten that layer onto second layer.

- Blend mode colour. Gaussian Blur of 0.5.

- Flatten onto bottom layer.

- Repeat whole process to taste.

Lots of nebulosity, excellent focus and tracking, some dark circular artefacts (probably related to stellar reflections becaue I don't think they are dust bunnies) and, as Stub Mandrel said, colour waiting in the wings. It will be there but finding it will involve a number of tricks.

Olly

Thankyou. What sort of tricks might they be?

Olly

Edit. Maybe they are dust bunnies. Close to the chip though, if they are. I don't know.

You have Photoshop? Try this.

-Two copy layers.

-Topy layer, set to blend mode Soft Light.

- Flatten that layer onto second layer.

- Blend mode colour. Gaussian Blur of 0.5.

- Flatten onto bottom layer.

- Repeat whole process to taste.

Thank you Olly, I'm only famililar with curves so far. Time to get learning.

Sorry, had a bit of a play (blame the weather!). Did a star colour boost (inc nebulosity) based on this tutorial:-

http://www.aiwebs.com/tutorials/star-color/star-color.html

then boosted contrast by sharpening a luminence layer. Then unsharp mask on RGB image and finally some noise reduction to smooth the nebulosity.

post-35654-0-53849700-1449351068_thumb.j

It's a lovely image, by the way...

Sorry, had a bit of a play (blame the weather!). Did a star colour boost (inc nebulosity) based on this tutorial:-

http://www.aiwebs.com/tutorials/star-color/star-color.html

then boosted contrast by sharpening a luminence layer. Then unsharp mask on RGB image and finally some noise reduction to smooth the nebulosity.

attachicon.gifpost-43303-0-78299900-1449347865a.jpg

It's a lovely image, by the way...

Thanks for reprocessing, it shows what can come from my data and gives me a real goal to achieve.

You have some great data there, the embedded colour just needs a little teasing out.

The following version using your data was saturation-boosted using the soft light / luminosity action for PhotoShop included with MEPC followed by a gentle smoothing using the 'Noise Ninja' plug-in:-

post-1029-0-62014500-1449391152_thumb.pn

You have some great data there, the embedded colour just needs a little teasing out.

The following version using your data was saturation-boosted using the soft light / luminosity action for PhotoShop included with MEPC followed by a gentle smoothing using the 'Noise Ninja' plug-in:-

attachicon.gifm45.png

Thankyou for your version, very encouraging. I'm going through ps tutorials at the moment following everyones comments. This is what cloudy nights are for I suppose. I didn't think playing with curves for 5 mins was going to be enough. Its nice to hear i'm on the right track for capturing data as a novice.

Try as I might, I can't get any star colour in like you have. I have used your actions and tried LAB colour etc and also tried reducing the brightness of the stars then applying saturation etc.

Any hints on how to get star colour like you have achieved would be most helpful and also help my sleep experience!  :laugh:  Tim. 

I started the whole process by balancing the RGB channels using 'Levels' with reference to the three individual histograms (yes I know it's controversial but it's what I do!). I used curves to get the darker background (but not too dark!) that I thought looked 'natural'. I let the blue stars take care of themselves using my action although I noticed some purple halos appearing along with a purple fringe to the main nebulosity so I cut this back using Image - Adjustments - Colour Balance by decreasing the levels of red, magenta and yellow.

Finally I selected the major red stars with the magic wand, increased the selection by 6 pixels and feathered by 2 pixels to apply a hue adjustment (Image - Adjustments - Hue/Saturation) until I got the subtle colour difference I wanted.

I used the 'Dodge' tool to work on the dust motes and made a complete mess of one of them but decided this was not the main event - getting colour was more important!!

Hope that helps.

I started the whole process by balancing the RGB channels using 'Levels' with reference to the three individual histograms (yes I know it's controversial but it's what I do!). I used curves to get the darker background (but not too dark!) that I thought looked 'natural'. I let the blue stars take care of themselves using my action although I noticed some purple halos appearing along with a purple fringe to the main nebulosity so I cut this back using Image - Adjustments - Colour Balance by decreasing the levels of red, magenta and yellow.

Finally I selected the major red stars with the magic wand, increased the selection by 6 pixels and feathered by 2 pixels to apply a hue adjustment (Image - Adjustments - Hue/Saturation) until I got the subtle colour difference I wanted.

I used the 'Dodge' tool to work on the dust motes and made a complete mess of one of them but decided this was not the main event - getting colour was more important!!

Hope that helps.

Thank you! I shall try this later on..... Tim. 

Archived