Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cold Scope, Cold Owner

Alkaid

After about an hour of being outside, I love that realisation during lunar observing when you realise that the telescope is 'ice cold' and is working in perfect hamony with a cold eyepiece - everything just appears sharper and the Moon's features really stand out at high power without any 'softness'.  Wonderful.

But then you realise that the fleece jacket you slung on as you dashed outside isn't really cutting it - you are torn between the view and going back inside for extra jacket / cup of tea.  That's the bit I don't like..

Excellent point. A lot of newbies have the idea that they'll be out in the garden in the summer using their new scope wearing a t-shirt and shorts. Little do they realise that's probably the worst time due to heat currents, light pollution, and least darkness.

It comes as a bit of a surprise when they finally cotton on that astronomy is a primarily "winter nights" sort of hobby - and for that one needs a whole new winter wardrobe, nearby tea/coffee making facilities, and a warm room. :)

After about an hour of being outside, I love that realisation during lunar observing when you realise that the telescope is 'ice cold' and is working in perfect hamony with a cold eyepiece - everything just appears sharper and the Moon's features really stand out at high power without any 'softness'.  Wonderful.

But then you realise that the fleece jacket you slung on as you dashed outside isn't really cutting it - you are torn between the view and going back inside for extra jacket / cup of tea.  That's the bit I don't like..

Excellent point. A lot of newbies have the idea that they'll be out in the garden in the summer using their new scope wearing a t-shirt and shorts. Little do they realise that's probably the worst time due to heat currents, light pollution, and least darkness.

It comes as a bit of a surprise when they finally cotton on that astronomy is a primarily "winter nights" sort of hobby - and for that one needs a whole new winter wardrobe, nearby tea/coffee making facilities, and a warm room. :)

I started in August, and I think I know what you mean by the soft focus, so hopefully I'm in for a treat. I'm really looking forwards to being surprised :-)

One of my other hobbies in mountaineering, and the cold doesn't trouble me when I wear my winter gear. A cold night in the garden is going to be less character building than being blasted with airborn ice, in winds so strong you can't even stand up. As I wrote that, I realised the possible reason why I might be doing more star gazing and less climbing these days...

This is one of those reasons that forced me make a comeback. Ambient plenty below zero, hot coffee in a vacuum flask, and the moment when the image calms down and freezes completely. Satisfying - especially with M13 or M92   :laugh:

All of astronomy is a learning process. That's why we enjoy it so much. You quickly learn that you are not as tough as you think on those cold winter evenings. Warm clothing with lots of layers and your favourite hot drink to hand are a must.

This post reminds me of an observing session in kielder a couple of years ago

periodically lighting the stove to make hot drinks until at abou three in the morning the burner refused

to light, I shook the bottle and dicovered that there was plenty of liquid in it so turned the car ignition on

and discovered the temperature was -6  :eek:  it says something for our outdoor wear that we certainly did not

realise it was that cold , Mind-you the milky-way was to, use an old expression, 'out of this world' :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Clear Skies to all

Robin

I started in May so I am coming into my first winder of astronomy.  However my other hobby is flying RC Gliders and I often go slope soaring in the winter which involves standing in 20 mph winds at 20 degrees F for 4 hours.   I use winter golf gloves and heat packs in addition to warm clothing to deal with the weather.

Ditto on both hobbies! :laugh:

I often wonder if I chose the wrong hobby I hate the cold.People used to call me "mad dog" because I would work on a building site during midday in the summer whilst everyone was hiding in the shade maybe one of my parents was a lizard?It was that cold one night that the rubber bands broke off my focuser and my fingertips stuck to the tube.Mmmmmm video astronomy sounds so appealing if I had the money!

Archived