NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Paracorr 2 or Nagler?

mert

My new scope is f4.1, been looking at the Paracorr 2, but would the cash be better spent on a 26mm Nagler? I haven't had a chance to use the scope yet so I'm not sure how bad the coma will be. What do you guys think?

I have two scopes at f4 and a 26mm Nagler. I always use a paracorr type 1. it really cleans up the view but in truth it's not a disaster without. I sometimes take out the paracorr if I want to squeeze that little bit of extra field into the eyepiece. There are two options as I see it. if you want to buy new, buy the paracorr first and then the Nagler. if you want to buy used, buy whatever comes up first and then start saving for the other. 

Thanks guys, I'll get the Paracorr 2 just now and when the dust has settled I'll get the 26mm Nagler. I would love the 21mm Ethos. I do have at my disposale a 20mm Explore Scientific 100 degree so I'll give that a try before anything,

I have two scopes at f4 and a 26mm Nagler. I always use a paracorr type 1. it really cleans up the view but in truth it's not a disaster without. I sometimes take out the paracorr if I want to squeeze that little bit of extra field into the eyepiece. There are two options as I see it. if you want to buy new, buy the paracorr first and then the Nagler. if you want to buy used, buy whatever comes up first and then start saving for the other.

I'll give it a go without first, just hoping for a clear night soon.

My experience has been that the wider the field of the eyepiece the more beneficial the coma corrector. I recently purchased a s/h Parracor1 which works well at F4.1 in as much that it comes to a focus without adding any issues. However I've been using a 25mm TV Plossl and a Meade 24.5 SWA 68 degree eyepiece so have not really pushed it yet. The focal length is 123" so the minimum power is around 125x and even with a very wide field eyepiece the favourite low power objects still wont fit in, a smaller telescope would be adequate for these anyway.   :smiley:

A couple of nights back I was using my F4.3 scope without the Paracorr and it annoyed me with only a Panoptic in the breach. I have always said and am sticking to it, why buy Televue and then settle for less than perfect views, in honesty the Paracorr is a must have item in these faster scopes and can be used on all your Dobs all the time.

Archived