Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M82 in a 4"

mikeDnight

Here's a quick doodle made of M82 on 7/11/15 using a 4" scope and a 7mm XW giving a power of X106. Though not the ideal deep sky scope the 4" did offer a very pleasing view of this active galaxy, showing an almost stellar nucleus bisected by a dark dust lane and revealing mottling across its length.

Not all field stars are shown and positions are only approximate.

Mike

post-41880-0-12990600-1447054870_thumb.j

Excellent sketch again Mike. I actually prefer M82 to 81 as it does show more structure and, to me looks a little brighter because it's surface brightness is higher.

This could become a regular service [emoji6]

79c75535c4d7c9df0b93ef63a5ae02dd.jpg

Nice!

Despite the small aperture, a 4" frac will sometimes show amazing detail in M81 and M82 - look at the drawings in "The Messier Album" for example. Mine certainly will, although it takes a good night from this location!

Chris

Stephen James O'meara bagged all the Messiers with a 4 inch Televue.

Mind you,he does have the advantage of living in Hawaii !

Great drawing Mike,

M82 is difficult, but in a good apo, this is what can be seen. An excellent starter scope is a 12" Newt, then after a lot of years, and many thousands of pounds, good observers migrate down to a 4" apo

'

• 2 weeks later...

Great drawing Mike,

M82 is difficult, but in a good apo, this is what can be seen. An excellent starter scope is a 12" Newt, then after a lot of years, and many thousands of pounds, good observers migrate down to a 4" apo

'

I'm nearly there :)

Great sketch Mike

Archived