NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 Andromeda Galaxy LRGB

ChrisLX200

I don't often do RGB images but I;ve made an exception for this one, M31 in this image is processed to enhance the galaxy rather than the starry background. Really needs more data but clear skys have been hard to come by recently :-(

Scope: Televue NP127is @ 660mm f/l

CCD: Moravian G4-16000 @ 1x1

Mount: 10-Micron GM2000HPS

Guide: unguided

Filters: Baader LRGB

Data: 900s subs, 14, 8, 4, 4 LRGB respectively

M31%20LRGB%20RS_zpshiiiobuc.jpg

ChrisH

Many thanks all!

Yes, full of gradients :-(  and I made the mistake of doing certain processing routines prior to combining the channels instead of afterwards, that resulted in a colour bias in the core. Still, it was fun to process and an alternative to sitting in the Obs shaking my fist at the clouds! When (if) I get the rest of the needed data I will re-process properly. This is my first image of M31 in its entirety, I've only managed bits of it the past.

ChrisH

I hate to say this to you a second time but when you have more data you'll have more M31 than will fit on your chip. It carries on a good way beyond this frame. (This is the price of your success in going deep!)

Cracking image, anyway. Great star colour and a soft touch to the processing. You'll sort the gradients I'm sure. You have a bunny as well.

As for the outlying starfield, I'd be inclined to do a separate stretch for that. As long as you get the background to the same values as that of the hard stretch it's dead easy in Layers to combine them.

This is a great camera. What filter size are you using?

Olly

I hate to say this to you a second time but when you have more data you'll have more M31 than will fit on your chip. It carries on a good way beyond this frame. (This is the price of your success in going deep!)

Cracking image, anyway. Great star colour and a soft touch to the processing. You'll sort the gradients I'm sure. You have a bunny as well.

As for the outlying starfield, I'd be inclined to do a separate stretch for that. As long as you get the background to the same values as that of the hard stretch it's dead easy in Layers to combine them.

This is a great camera. What filter size are you using?

Olly

Thanks Olly, hate to say it but I'm struggling processing this LRGB data... The bunnies were caused by an issue I had with the filterwheel, I had to disassemble it to effect a repair and hence re-distributed the dust etc., it was only later I took new flats but some of them no longer match the data. The repair was due to the fact the motor housing had taken a knock resulting in the driver pinion being pressed hard against the rubber band that runs around the periphery of the carousel. I don't think the motor housing was tightened properly. Anyway, that caused the rubber drive band to become detatched and I had to take the carousel out and re-fit the band (getting dust and one fingerprint on the filters in the process!) So I then had to clean up and re-assemble.

The filters are all 50x50mm square, and that's a lot of glass when there's 7 of them! The LRGB are Baader and they seem to work OK-ish, the NB are Chroma 3nM and look to be excellent performers from the initial data I've collected (the same as Astrodon but significantly cheaper when I bought them - however I note that now the advertised prices seem to be close to Astrodon @ £1k each).

If you interested in seeing raw data from one of these cameras, and have the time and inclination I could dump the raw stacks into DropBox for you to play with? I would appreciate seeing a proper processing job, but I recognise you're a busy man :-)

Chris

Archived