NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wheeled platform for moving large dobs

I've just ordered a Skywatcher 300p goto and am concerned about the weight as it's quite a big scope. I'll have to move it from the house across the terrace to a dark part of the yard. I'm building a wooden platform on 4 rubber 75mm rubber castors with brakes but I understand the mounting needs to be leveled for accurate alignment. I though of using 4 long M10 bolts on each corner of the platform to adjust levels? Any ideas?

Clear skies.

I would want to leave the scope on the platform to avoid having to lift back on to it late at night for storage. My doubt is would it be firm enough to conserve alignment. It's 600x650 MM OSB board, braced underneath with two 650mm lengths of 50x30 MM battens, onto which the casters and levelling bolts ar securely attached.

I'm halfway to building similar. The only thing I will say is that 3 points are easier to level than 4. That's why my base frame is triangular.

My one is like this ,but on the 3 points you have make a foot  plate that is free to move as when the leg go down every thing move if not, I can take pic on Friday if any help.

My first thought was in fact to make an equilateral triangle platform on 3 castors with a levelling bolt on each corner. In my case there were problems with that, as the back door to the house is just wide enough for the dob base to scrape through, so the width of the platform has to be smaller than the dob base. Also, the 4 castors came in 2 pairs each fitted to a sturdy metal bar which is handy for bracing the platform.

I'll post an image once it's finished. The scope dolly looks very neat bur expensive...and does'nt seem to provide levelling adjustments.

Archived