Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount & Tripod for Small Heavyish Frac

scarp15

Hi 

I have a Televue Pronto on the way.

I had been advised that a Vixen Porta II would be just fine for this and the slo mo controls an advantage with this mount. I would  like to make use of my existing eyepiece set, that has been designed to favour my dobs. Whilst I have a TV 25mm plossl, which would cause no concern, I would like to make use with my 21mm Ethos. If balance becomes a factor with this tail heavy scope, then I will have a 24mm Panoptic on my wish list for next year.

Appreciate any further advice on mount and tripod and using heavy and ultra wide field e.p's with a 70mm refractor.

Cheers

I used to use my Vixen ED102SS on a Vixen Porta Mk1 mount. My heaviest eyepiece was the mighty 31mm Nagler and the mount coped with that pretty well. I used to have my scope quite well forward in the tube rings.

I use the same scope / eyepiece with a Giro type mount now. It's a bit harder to balance than the Porta Mount was to be honest although the Giro is great in all other ways. The Porta Mount had just the right amount of "sticktion" in the alt axis for the heavier eyepieces.

post-118-0-73703100-1445892890.jpg

I have a Tak 76 on a porta 11 mount, using a TV Panoptic and a 40mm TV Plossl. No issues at all with the mount, the amount of friction is easily adjustable, and the scope is easy to balance. The tripod that comes with the mount is an area of concern for me, the plastic spreaders have come apart twice now at the centre. Am looking at upgrading the tripod to something of better quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the Vixen Porta Mount.

I got to use this for the first time with the Pronto last week. Very smooth motions, the sticktion is very good at supporting a 21 Ethos and the slow motion controls worked effortlessly, a core reason for favouring this. I was also able to point towards zenith without any problem, perhaps an issue with some other mount types including perhaps Televue? I did however upgrade the plastic handles for the flexible type which are much better constructed with good ergonomics, creating no vibration. I can also detach them easily for storage and transport. I have purchased an inexpensive carry bag, designed for camping awning poles, which will serve to facilitate walking it round to my local observing spot.

The Pronto performed excellently to. I have my Rigel Quickfinder attached, works well but does involve a bit of crouching.

Archived