NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Streetlights coming back on..... a step backwards?

FenlandPaul

Not particularly encouraging news this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34635377

I think the lady who comments that she's fallen down the stairs a few times since the lights were switched off speaks volumes for the terrible directionality that lights on her street must have!  The clue is in the word "street"...

They decided in February 2015 to bring them back on, no idea why this made the news this morning other than the date of turning them back on is the 25th October.

If you are outside after 12:00 take a torch!

It made me cross watching the news coverage anyone would think they were going off at 8pm not midnight, people get a grip live life not the soap you watch on the telly on your comfy lit sofa. If you are out at night it is your responsibility to make sure you can see, no one else.

And if like the lights by me yes they do light up our bedrooms so if off it is my responsibility to walk around my house with my lights on as I might need.

http://www.harlow.gov.uk/street-lights

Not good news, lets hope that common sense will out in the end.

Like happy-kat, I'm pretty sure that its not the councils responsibility to light your property from their streetlights.

The street lights in my part of Poole don't go off until about 02:00 which isn't erly enough for my liking, though the Council website states they go off at about 12:00.

Anyway, I digress, lets hope that the reported about turn doesn't spread across the country.

They go off at 1am here and it makes a lovely difference. Hope the council doesn't decide to keep them on now and fork out the cash. No need for them to be on from midnight till 6am.

Interestingly, the time changed from midnight till 1 am across Essex because Harlow complained about station users... maybe we can have it back to midnight again now?

The excuse was shift workers having to walk home from the bus stop in the dark at 1am...How many people actually walk home from the bus stop at 1am? Considering that practically every bus service stops here around 11pm...

As I said in another thread, I don't think too much will be done about light pollution in existing towns and cities (like where I live), it is the people who move out into the country that take their lights with them that annoys me the most.

...........it is the people who move out into the country that take their lights with them that annoys me the most.

There are certainly plenty of examples of lovely dark places being totally ruined by townies taking their 'insecurity lights' with them. As you say it is truly annoying- possibly more so than a well lit town.

Archived