Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SpaceEagle Observatory (SEO) - My small window to the universe...

seo

Hi to all,

I thought that it'll be nice to share some photos of my small portal to the universe...

General description:

-----------------------------

The name of my observatory is "SEO" - SpaceEagle Observatory.

The obsy is a 3m diameter Dome type which I bought at December of 2013. Before that I had a R-R obsy which I sold. The installation procedure, including a base/floor cement, started at at March of 2014 and after a lot of testings and emough changes at August of 2014 the first "real world" experimental tests started. At the same time my main remote operation room, at the basement of my house, was also ready. Until June of 2015 many more tests, equipment addendum and changes have been done to the obsy and finally it was ready for its first "serious" operational tests. Since then and up to now more required testing has been done to equipment, security, imaging, photometry and other sections of its "existence" and right now it's operational at 80% of its expected capabilities. 

After some few more scheduled changes and I hope to be the last ones... it'll be at 100% of it's full operation capabilities - if and when this very persistent bad  weather permits of course!

Here someone may of course ask... <<if it's a commercially purchased obsy then why did you put it in the DIY section ?>>

Well here are the main reasons which made believe that this was the proper section to post it  :

1. Even if the Dome (exterior part) was pre-builded and not designed and constructed by me I personally made a lot of changes and re-configurations to it as for example, the obsy base/floor was designed and build by me, I raised the rotating part by about 15cm using another type of wheels and by doing that I also reconfigured the rotation tracking system by adding special metallic rails made by me (DIY) . Another thing that I did was to repaint the interior walls in a black mat color (non reflective) and with a silver-gray color (also non reflective) the interior part of the shutter, also scheduled is the re-configuration of the whole shutter window position/limits. There are also many other changes and re-configurations which I made as for example : internal lights , mains power system, security backup power, autonomous emergency shutter closing system and others.  

2. The interior of my obsy including the pier, except of course the usual buys - telescopes, mount, focusing system, imagers etc, is in a big portion of it a DIY.  

I hope my desicion to put it here was right.   :smiley:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, time to go to some photos and desciptions....

** For any of the commercial equipment I've used I wrote only a general description about it - this is a DIY section...

When all started....

post-47040-0-59452200-1445617632_thumb.j

Obsy base finished...

post-47040-0-83768600-1445617679_thumb.j

The next photo is general view inside the obsy when the door opens (The A/C unit, the Dehumidifier and some other equipment wouldn't fit in this photo).

post-47040-0-21387700-1445618013_thumb.j

and here is the "equipment" photo....

post-47040-0-15630500-1445618111_thumb.j

Description of "equipment" in the previous photo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The Pier of my obsy is square shaped and DIY) 

1.  DIY USB 2.0 controller for full auto and remote operation of all the power connections on the telescopes.
2.  USB 2.0 Hub for up to 7 USB connections.
3.  DIY Dew Heater Controller - for all the heating needs except the EdgeHd-14"+ refractor imaging telescope.
4.  EdgeHD-14" Main Micro Focuser controller. The stock main focuser was replaced... 
5.  Twin focuser controller for the "extra" fine focuser of the Edge + the focuser of the refractor imaging telescope.
6.  Guiding imager for the Refractor imaging telescope.
7.  My EdgeHD-14"
8.  OAG for my EdgeHD-14" + Filter wheel. 
9.  One of my CCDs.
10. WiFi/Ip (remote) Camera installed on the not moving part of the obsy for continiously viewing the "front" mount installation area.
11. My obsy mount.
12. My main obsy WiFi Gbit Router.
13. USB controller made by obsy factory (reconfigured to only control the rotation of the obsy). 
14. USB 3.0 /Sw
15. UPS for general obsy power emergency/backup.
16. Guiding telescope for the refractor imaging telescope.
17. Refractor imaging telescope.
18. WiFi/Ip (remote) Camera.
19. DIY remote/local dew heater controller for the EdgeHD-14" + Refractor imaging telescope.
20. WiFi/Ip (remote, tilting) Camera for continuously viewing were the telescopes looking at + the alt.position/angle of the shutter.
21. DIY WiFi/Ethernet/IP Main controller for controlling remotely/locally the whole observatory operation, security sensors and devices + Shutter.
22. DIY extra Halogen remote/local controlled heating unit. The unit was opened, then I installed a simple 220V DIY relay system and then the system was connected to the Main DIY controller "21".   
23. Observatory PC and LCD for local control of the obsy when and if needed. The unit is also connected to my main LAN/WAN network (Wake-On-Lan activated and is LAN/WAN accessible). 
24. Cable management.
25. DIY square shaped cement pier. 
26. DIY Raised and changed (internally) rotating system.

post-47040-0-35438800-1445618395_thumb.j

27.  DIY elevated base construction for the dehumidifier and the A/C.
28.  DIY permanent water outlet for the dehumidifier.
29.  DIY Ethernet based IR remote control for the A/C.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-47040-0-99640200-1445618529_thumb.j

30.  DIY Local controlled dimmer (Red lights)
31.  DIY Main AC and UPS power outlets panel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-47040-0-64440300-1445618687_thumb.j

32.  DIY DC 12V Power Hub with Amp consumption (led) display.
33.  AC to DC 12V Stabilized Power Converter.

post-47040-0-56441500-1445618802_thumb.j

34.  DIY Panel for USB remote/local connections.

post-47040-0-82027400-1445618942_thumb.j

35.  Dehumidifier.
36.  A/C unit and DIY base plate (shown a bit again in pic.2/27).
37.  DIY 12V led battery power remote/local level indicator (photo doesn't show the front section).
38.  DIY case for 12V battery.
39.  12V A/C battery charger + DIY remote and local operation.

Some more photos...........

========================================================================

A view from the telescopes side in action ....

post-47040-0-56772600-1445619772_thumb.j

another two in action...

post-47040-0-26797900-1445619850_thumb.j

post-47040-0-38847300-1445619851_thumb.j

some electonics DYI...

post-47040-0-34593000-1445619923_thumb.j

A view from outside...

post-47040-0-36248900-1445620005_thumb.j

and my main operation room at the basement.....

post-47040-0-59934600-1445620064_thumb.j

Any C & C are welcomed...

Thanks for viewing :smiley:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stevp, thank you.

Nice! Great write up too. Just one question; are you sure you have enough screens? :D

LOL... no, actually I need one more  ! :smiley:

Seriously now, there are a lot of astro-programs, remote control ones, weather - my meteo station, and olthers... You can't go with 1-2 screens. 

By the way, I notice you mention the PC for 'local control' in case needed. Does that mean that you don't use it through remote access to control the scope/dome from the control room, but you control all equipment directly?

Do you mind elaborating a bit more how you have set that up exactly?

Hi Chris,

Yes I indeed control everything "directly". I've made two different network servers (for extra security reasons), A LAN one and a WAN one which are both connected to everything (and when I say everything I really mean that there is nothing in and out of the obsy - weather stations, cloud sensors, SQL etc -  that can't be controlled/viewed/saved through LAN or WAN) through industrial all weather Gbit Cat-6 cables. These two different networks basically differ to the way they're hardware and software connected to all the rest equipment, as I said, mostly for security reasons. When I don't need a WAN connection the WAN server is off - most of the time is. The two LAN and WAN servers are installed in a separate dedicated Windows 2008 R2 main server which is located at my main operation room which in turn is 27m far from the obsy. There (in the obsy) are 2 Gbit server switches, 8 inputs each. The LAN control/work is done by 3 different PC's which are connected to the main server LAN network, the actual speeds on this network can reach an average of 120 MB/sec. The WAN control is done by connecting directly to the server's IP through DDNS. For speed, security  and "simplicity" reasons different WAN commands/controls over the obsy equipment is done in different ports assigned to different programs/equipment, even the main screens are assigned to different ports. It seems complicated and yes it is but only to make it  work, after that its simply clicking some icons on the remote pc/laptop. The actual speeds in WAN mode internally are the same, only the remote "command" speeds (which are of course depended on the internet connection speeds) are lower than LAN mode but in real world operation is hard to "feel" the difference. All the downloads (from cameras and other equipment) are saved, in the same MB speeds directly to a dedicated NAS Server for both LAN and WAN connections.

Hope I answered your question.     

Archived