Swapping between eyepieces

rockystar

Hi all,

I wanted to get peoples opinions on swapping between eyepieces during a session.

I was out last night for a reasonable session, moving through a variety of targets, and found that I was constantly swapping between my eyepieces, my 18mm to find/zero in on a target, and then swapping it out for my 7mm for greater magnification, and then back out to my 18 to find the next target. Every time I did this, I was replacing the caps on the eyepiece - I think I'd read somewhere else that this was good practice in order to fend off dew - placing it in the tray on my tripod and then swapping in the other eyepiece. This seemed to take ages to do and was wondering if there was a better way, or different practice, to make this process a bit smoother. At the moment I'm only using 2 eyepieces, but got a couple more on the way soon (looking at something like a 30 & 12 - but that's an aside), so if I've then got 4 eyepieces and trying to find which one suits best for the object I'm viewing, I would like to make this process as slick as possible. And then I was sometimes putting a barlow in the middle as well.

Any thoughts, comments or ideas?

Thanks

Lee

hi Lee

You can of course, hold the two eyepieces, one in each hand and decide which provides the better view? Then place the one in the eyepiece tray - although I tend to put them in a foam lined flight case myself and leave the caps off.

If using a non tracking mount (i.e. one you move yourself) place the object at the far side of the field where it first appears and you then have quite a bit of time to allow a change of eyepieces and for it to still be visible. You'll soon get used to it.

I've had session where I've used all 9 of my eyepieces and others where just one has been in the focuser all night. It all depends what my targets are.

When not in use I keep my eyepieces in their foam lined case with their end caps on. I find keeping them just a little warmer than the outside temperature stops them misting up, especially on cold nights.

A zoom is convenient in this respect and for testing the seeing conditions but personally I tend to prefer fixed focal length eyepieces these days.

I use a collapsible IKEA garden table when at home (or similar when on the allotment) and a camping table when away at a dark site, which I use for my eyepiece / filter flight case. Some sessions may involve using three or four eyepieces whilst others five / six or even more . The caps are kept in the case when not in use (they are so easy to loose when at a dark and breezy car park) and eyepieces -in-between use - are kept either securely on the table (beware of frost forming) or returned loosely back into the case - with caps on to prevent dew etc. Sometimes I might place an eyepiece on the platform of the dob base for quick access. I also set the dobsonian up on a mat, for extra a stability and if anything should drop (also good for feet insulation). For this I used to use a square off-cut foam kitchen lino, I now use the old heavy duty rubber boot mat from my former (probably now scrapped) Skoda Fabia.

funny you mentioned that about swapping eye pieces. i was out last night with 200mm newt/dobs.

I was using a 2" 30mm to locate objects and then pop in the 1.25 25mm. i was just putting them in my jacket pocket when not in use. they stayed dew free and clean.  

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think some kind of case is definitely required when I get more eyepieces. Most of my viewing is dove at home, so I've got a garden table, may look at a small collapsible one for when I'm out and about and then keep one in the pocket.

Not sure how I feel about zooms yet, think I need to try one.

I was recently getting frustrated with all the swapping about then had a brainwave... (doesn't happen very often for me)

I decided to cut out some circles of stiff foam rubber and attached them to the side of my scope with double-sided tape to pop the eyepiece caps/bottoms and finderscope caps onto whilst the EP/Finder is in use. If you make them slightly too large the caps stay on nicely even when the scope is moved about and I can easily find them instead of hunting around in the dark. I will post a picture when i next pop out to the observatory (shed !)

Obviously, this still means you have to keep the actual EPs somewhere, and like others I keep them in a foamed flight case but at least whilst in use you don't have to fiddle around swapping the caps etc. over

Archived