Helios 150mm Refractor

Hello, those of you may remember that I recently started a thread about the Bresser AR127L. Well I had an family emergency. So my funds are now depleted and I have found a good Active astro club near by. I have found a secondhand Helios Evostar 150, which has a focal length of 1200mm and an F ratio of F8.It comes with a mount and eye pieces. I have asked to put an offer in. From my understanding Helios is the old name of Skywatcher. So I should have nothing to worry about? My only other concern is the Short F8 ratio, in this size refractor is that going to show chromatic abberation bad? Of should I just not worry and take the plunge and get a telescope, the guy is asking for £375 for it, but like I said is open to an offer from me.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CA might be something you're fine with .. or not.  My 2pence worth would be to ask what sort of mount it was, since it's not a small scope and a flimsy mount could be awful.  Also, it depends on how set you are on a refractor.  A 8" skywatcher dob is £100 less than that price new and will probably give better viewing.

Already had a newtonian, only interested in Fracs at the moment. To give you more of an idea of my mindset here is my old thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/249900-tal-100-rs-vs-bresser-ar127l/page-3?hl=%2Bar127l#entry2724582. He did say is open to offers, £375 is what he is asking for, so I will get it for less money, but how much less I do not know as I have not put an offer in yet. 

These scopes are often around £150 to £200 used, depending on condition, focuser etc. Which mount does it come with?

The CA with the f8 version will be significantly less than the f5 Startravel. Will be obvious on bright stars and planets but not really noticeable on DSOs and fainter stars. Should give lovely contrast on DSOs

I did a search on ebay for "tal telescope", & got:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAL100RS-Refractor-OTA-/191696424036?hash=item2ca1ff4c64

also, from the photo you posted and the others which I came across online (I guess I should refrain from linking to), that mount looks too small for comfort.  Secondly none of the photos show whether the main lens(primary objective) is okay - mould growth could be a concern too even if it's been in storage all this time. 

I had a Helios 152mm F8 achromat when they first came into the country. They are great Richfield refractors and if you view them as such you won't go far wrong. The CA is visible around the limb of the moon and even across its surface, and also around bright stars, but the scope is still quite a pleasing instrument when used for exploring star fields, clusters comets ànd nebulae. They are mass produced however and the optical figure of the lenses varies, some good, some poor. You'd probably be able to use X200 tops and although it will give nice planetary views, they will never be excellent.

I found that the weak point of the mount was the tripod, particularly the tripod head. Place the eq 5 head on a permanent pier and its pretty solid, if used for purely visual. If a pier is out of the question, then a strong steel tripod would help.

I'd pay £250 to £270 tops.

Mike :-)

Yep, super scopes. Both LeeB and Patbloke have bought used 150 f8's in the last month. They are great for deep sky, planets, lunar and star work. Ca isn't really an issue, except for brighter targets. I use a 2" Baader semi apo filter on the diagonal. They do need a minimum of eq5 for visual. The standard focuser needs replacing, you'll find a 2" will help balance the ota, about 20lbs loaded. Needs another counterweight to balance , ask if it's there. It's a nice , useful scope,this is the generic c6r,

http://neilenglish.net/adventures/

He's had this Helios advertised couple of times with no buyer, just make him an offer that you can afford,

Nick.

Thanks for the replies guys, its great to get feedback from owner confirming what my thoughts are in its quality and best suited visual use.

Sadly the Tal you linked to above Joseki is the one without all the equipment. 

Thanks for the Neil English link cotterless, that has given me all the information I need, how easy is it to fit a focuser?I see Skywatcher do a 10:1 Crayford focuser as an upgrade option for Evostars, and ED's. Which is CNC machined. 

These scopes are often around £150 to £200 used, depending on condition, focuser etc. Which mount does it come with?

The CA with the f8 version will be significantly less than the f5 Startravel. Will be obvious on bright stars and planets but not really noticeable on DSOs and fainter stars. Should give lovely contrast on DSOs

That's more like a realistic price. I have one myself and paid £400 with mount and two EPs. That was a while back and their value has, if anything, dropped since then. It never gets out these days because it's more than a little out gunned by the TEC140 but, in truth, it's not bad at all and I have a bit of a soft spot for it. It does have CA on bright objects but not to an unbearable extent and it gives nice contrasty views on lots of others.

But they really do go for peanuts. That's why I've never bothered to try to sell mine.

Olly

I've owned a few of these. They are really undermounted on the EQ5 / aluminium tripod combination - almost unusable. Replace the tripod with 2" steel tube legs, like the EQ6 has, and the combination gets a bit better - OK for visual use as long as you are patient with regards to vibrations.

I've seen that one listed and it looks uncared for to me. I'd want to see the optics in person and, if clean, I might offer £150 for the optical tube and put it on a more substantial mount.

Given that the mount, as it is, is worth less than £100, the price being asked is at least £120 too much IMHO.

Thanks John I had the idea of maybe trying to convince the seller just to sell me the ota without mount. I think from the photo's its comes with 3 or 4 eye pieces. He wont confirm if it is indeed a EQ5 mount or not. It does look dusty in the photos, and there is one photo of the lenses. From the photo the lense seems ok, but would need a good clean. I should really go and view it.  I did have the idea, if he wont sell without the mount and tripod. To take the aluminium tripod legs out and fit solid wood or steel if i can find steel the right size. As surely this would improve it?

$_57.JPG

Looking at the photos in the original advert, it looks as if the standard set of stock eyepieces are supplied. It is an EQ5 mount - the early ones came with an aluminum tripod which is daft on a scope of this length and weight (length being the critical thing here) but that was how they were supplied.

It looks as if the objective lens needs a good and careful clean. The collimation may need adjusting as well. Some of the anodised bits have gone from black to gold which is what happens when they spend a long time in the sun - such as in a conservatory.

At the end of the day it's up to you what you do but I think the starting price is way too high for what could turn out to be a bit of a "project" scope.

Thanks for the Neil English link cotterless, that has given me all the information I need, how easy is it to fit a focuser?I see Skywatcher do a 10:1 Crayford focuser as an upgrade option for Evostars, and ED's. Which is CNC machined.

Just undo the holding bolts and this fits straight on,

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-dual-speed-2-crayford-focuser-for-refractors.html

The setup as advertised is well overpriced. Best way forward is to speak to the seller on the phone. Often it's too easy for sellers just to be remote and contact by email and stick to their guns.Some folk persist in thinking that old prices reflect the present value. These do come up now and again far cheaper.

It's a great project undertaken by LeeB and Patbloke. For the right money it's a good scope.

For a smaller scope :

I had a great deal of success filling the ally legs of an Eq3-2 tripod with wet mortar mix . It made it much more stable , as does hanging a bag of pebbles from below the ep tray, not swinging around !

Nick.

Well guys he wont split the ota from the mount. He has offered numerous time for me to go view it. As I'm in Dorset and he is in Stoke on Trent, I have said only if we pre agreed a price. Suggested £200. 

Personally, I wouldn't bother driving all that way for something that may be no good. You may just end up buying it simply because it's there in front of you. Even if the guy accepted £200 the renovation work and fuel cost would push the price up.

I saw an AR 127 (the subject of your post that you linked to earlier) on the ENS website for around £250. Wouldn't it make more sense to check that out, seeing as it's kind of on the way to Stoke?

I saw that from ENS, that is actually over price for a secondhand AR127L OTA. You can actually get the OTA from Bresser, new for cheaper! I think I will for now go with the Tal 100RS and get a Revelation 1.25 dielectric diagonal, and a couple of eye pieces. Would of preferred a bigger aperture but for now this will do. 

I saw that from ENS, that is actually over price for a secondhand AR127L OTA. You can actually get the OTA from Bresser, new for cheaper! I think I will for now go with the Tal 100RS and get a Revelation 1.25 dielectric diagonal, and a couple of eye pieces. Would of preferred a bigger aperture but for now this will do. 

Yeah I thought it was a bit over priced too, but compared to that 6" Helios, it's the better buy IMO. The Tal is a super scope for the money though, I reckon you'll be happy with it for some time :wink: 

Yeah hopefully I will get the Tal. If I do, I will make my own mount and tripod combo for now. Do my own take of a pier mount/tripod. Get a big diameter fencing post, driving it into the ground, cut it off to the required length then attach two 12mm ply boards that are being held together( need to figure the best way). Then put the mount on this. Should make for one sturdy setup. Obviously I wont be able to move the mount and pier..From my garden. One can only try!

Archived