Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cocoon Nebula from Kelling Heath Star Party

NickMorris

Hi,
I thought it was about time I finally posted an image.  This was taken at Kelling Heath Star Party recently and many thanks are due to Phil J and Martin (Baz) from East Midlands Stargazers who helped me sort out some tilt in my optical train, cheers Guys!
I haven't spent much time learning post processing so would welcome criticism and pointers from more knowledgable people.
It was shot over two nights with a 5" APO reduced to 698mm FL and consists of :-
24 x 900s Luminance
10x 600s Red
10 x 600s Green
10 x 600s Blue
Flats, Darks and Bias frames
All unguided

post-7427-0-71873400-1442869403_thumb.pn

Thanks for looking,
Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for looking Tony, appreciate the comments,

The subs were 15m for L and 10m for RGB.  Unguided imaging is possible with a 10 Micron mount if you have a very stable rig and run modelling software that places synchronisation points all over the sky.  The mount then creates a 3D model internally that tracks the sky extremely accurately.  It is subject to other factors like a tripod sinking into the ground which will throw the model off as happened to me at subsequent nights at Kelling.  Normally you would just run a model again during twilight...

If you look at some of ChrisLX200's posts recently, you can see some of his narrowband images that are 30 minutes unguided!

all the best

Nick 

Polar alignment isn't crucial either as the mount corrects for polar misalignment.  If the mount is off the pole by a way then field rotation will occur between first and last subs which will mean cropping when stacked.....

One user ran his rig with 55 arc minutes of polar misalignment.

cheers

Nick 

Archived