Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Obs conversion - Update 5

centroid

The rotaing 'turret' is now in place on top of the Obsy, thanks to help from Rog (Celescope) and my Son.

I was out there at 07.00 yesterday morning, to start dismantling the 'roll-off' roof' (RoR), and a beautiful morning it was too.

The RoR could have been lifted off in one piece, but there was a lot of preparatory work to be done, prior to the new roof being lifted into position. So, in order that I could 'press on' prior to assistance arriving after lunch, I dismantled the RoR in situ, into managable size bits, that I could lift down on my own.

With the RoR removed, I was able to remove the existing 'track', and prepare the top of the obsy, to recieve the new roof.

The placing of the new roof, went without any hitches, even the tricky bit, of turning it vertically, so that we could carry it through the gateway, and into the back garden.

Once at the Obsy, I went inside and Rog and my Son, passed the 'turret' over the front of the obsy, as I guided it into position on the new 'ring track'.

Would it rotate as designed to do?, YES!! :occasion5:

After Rog and my Son left (late afternoon), I 'cracked on' to get get a coat of Cuprinol Preserative on the 'cladding', and a coat of Thompsons Roof Seal, on the 'decking' that the 'ring track' sits on.

Finally, affixing the necessary security measures to the 'roll off hatch' and 'dropdown door', before packing up at 21.30, completely 'knackered'.

Today, a second coat of Cuprinol has been applied to the cladding, and another coat of Thompsons Roof Seal to the 'deck', the 'turret' roof, and the roll off hatch cover. The 4"x2" framework, onto which the RoR used 'run' when rolled back, has now been romoved.

Still lots of 'bits and pieces' to do, but the main work of construction, and installation is complete. :(

Here's a picture of Rog and the new 'roof' taken just after we had lifted it into postion. :p

Ron, neither Rog or I strained our backs. :angry:

So, a big thank you to Roger for his valued assistance, and to RayS and Bill£, who offerered their help if needed.

I'll take some more pics over the next couple of days.

Dave

post-13389-133877341216_thumb.jpg

yes i must say , that pic does not do it justice , the work put into that is fantastic , so many angles Dave has had to do and they are all Purrrfect ,and very good job indeed , from inside the Obs , the scope is protected from the elements , wind free , except when i visit ehhehehe , its worth all the hard work , and once Dave extends the warm room as well , it will be even better , ,room for slim Rog to fit in then , but full marks Dave , and excellent job

Rog

ps ,, did you find the centre punch

heheheheh

Many congratulations Dave, and well done Rog and your son for the extra help, impossible to do without help there's no doubt. Rog looks triumphant from his lofty perch.

Looks a tremendous piece of work, and it will be a great asset to you for certain. Nice one.

Ron. :angry:

Looks a superb bit of work Dave, reminiscent of a heavy gun turret - just the job for the 12in LX.

Glad no long term injuries were sustained and Rog looks pretty happy up there on the steps.

Look forward to the completion and first light reports.

Mark

Archived