Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A night with Nick in the runner beans!

Patbloke

A night with Nick 

Weapons of choice - 10" Lightbridge, C6r on heq5pro.

Cygnus. " The "Blinking Planetary" NGC 6826

" Piazzi's Flying double " 61 Cygni

NGC 6940 , very fine open cluster, better than a lot of Messiers.

" Rocking Horse " cluster NGC 6910.

Eastern Veil , NGC 6995/2, stunning from deep sky.

wide Milky Way by eye, including a mass of stars around Deneb at the zenith.

Lyra.       The " other double double" Σ2474 and 2470, see Pocket star atlas p.63,

all the major stars of Lyra are double, except gamma.

The four doubles to eta (η) Lyrae ( SAO 068010)

Aquarius.  Globular M2 which is resolvable.

Zeta Aquarii (55 Aquarii) bright twins , 1.7" split at x220.

Pegasus .  Globular M15.

NGC 7331, like our Milky Way.

Perseus.   NGC 1023, bright streak of a galaxy at x50.

Triangulum.  Iota, red and yellow. SAO 055347.

Cassiopeia. The triple iota, easy find, page 1 PSA.

Cepheus. "Garnet star". There are some really great open clusters in Cepheus (redder than a red thing)

NGC 6939 open cluster.

Lacerta open clusters, in order of goodness,

NGC 7209

NGC 7243

NGC 7296

IC 1434.

Draco. " Cat's eye nebula " NGC 6543.

All this plus the usual suspects... really interesting to compare the large Newt with the beast of a Frac... although the skies were clear there was fading in and out moisture which played havoc with my seeing :-) glasses on, glasses off I need a chain of strap to hang those around my neck for sure. Great variety of EP's and filters used. I absolutely love a nice crisp double and a glittering open cluster... Next time we are off out into a darker site to see the difference and once again be heartened and amazed by the wonders that we can see through these wonderful instruments... I counted three stars in the square of Pegasus naked eye (but I had been up a very long time)

Privileged! 

That must have been a fine night's viewing, thanks for the write up. I copied some of those targets from Nick's last report. The Lacerta targets were very memorable if not a bit awkward being almost on the Zenith. :)

Thanks for posting, next time we'll defo visit the nearby dark site and avoid the mastiffs, the 3000000w security light and waking up the neighbours.

Very interesting to compare the views using two different UHC filters in the same eps in the 6" achro f8 and the fast 10" Lightbridge.

Although I'm gutted to agree with a second opinion, the ( "shaving mirror") Newt won. I think M27 and M57 looked better over x200 without filters. We were both stunned by the mass and quality of targets from the busy edge of town,

Nick.

Thanks for posting, next time we'll defo visit the nearby dark site and avoid the mastiffs, the 3000000w security light and waking up the neighbours.

Very interesting to compare the views using two different UHC filters in the same eps in the 6" achro f8 and the fast 10" Lightbridge.

Although I'm gutted to agree with a second opinion, the ( "shaving mirror") Newt won. I think M27 and M57 looked better over x200 without filters. We were both stunned by the mass and quality of targets from the busy edge of town,

Nick.

I even thought M31 Andromeda Galaxy looked a bit brighter and had a sharper centre in the newt...

Having said that Nick, that's a big shaving mirror and by the looks of it, it hasn't been used for shaving for quiet a while! :-)

For beans contact direct - Swadlingcote bean producer Nick!

Lovely list of objects and it sounds like a great night :smiley:

I have two lovely refractors but it's the 12" dob that gets out under the stars for deep sky observing as well as most of my lunar and planetary observing to be honest.

The views of binary stars through the refractors are really special though and the little 4" can go the widest of any of my scopes so gets out when I want to look a the whole of the Veil complex and similar expansive vistas.

It's good to have a variety of "tools" available :smiley:

Archived