NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Derf or IR filter for pst stage two mod and 80mm f6 apo

Hi all

I have a tal based stage 2 pst mod with derf but this is a bit large for travel. I use an 80mm f6 apo as my travel scope for night and white light. I wonder if I could use it for ha too.

There may be issues with focal point (I won't be cutting the tube) and I realise that I will lose some aperture to vignetting but would I need an IR filter or a derf to use it like this?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Shane

Cheers Ken

Sounds like a possibility. I was hoping to get a filter that I can add to the front of my pst mod by simply screwing it on when in use. That said I can currently use my original pst tube for travel maybe as this requires nothing else.

Shane,

The Baader Ha 35nm filter, available in 2" sizes has exactly the same filter coating as the DERF.

The only significant difference is the thickness of the substrate.

Ken, is that likely to be an option for Quark users? Any benefits over a simple UV/IR filter?

A 50mm filter would constitute a half-size ERF, which should work if you can get it into the tube at the right place. The PST mod needs to work at F/10, I assume, so placing a 2" filter in front of the objective, you automatically get a 46mm or so diameter, or about F/10. An unmounted 2" diameter filter could get you the 48mm which hits F/10 exactly with your 80mm F/6.

This is exactly one of the considerations in my mind Peter. I fear the focal point may seal it as I won't be chopping my apo even though it was only £200 :0)

In some respects I am just trying to cut down on one box in the camper which will make my wife a bit happier!

I am just trying to cut down on one box in the camper which will make my wife a bit happier!

I'm off to Hersty soon and have decided to leave my wife at home and have more room in the camper for boxes  :grin:

Dave

Archived