Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oak Tree Prom - 8 Aug 2015

DRT

I have just set-up the solar scopes and it looks like we have another great day of activity on the Sun.

There is a huge prom the shape of an oak tree surrounded by smaller loops, currently at 12 o'clock, and a very large detaching cloud of plasma drifting off into space at around 4-5 o'clock.

The mass of spots is still clearly visible on the disk with fabulous detail through the Baader wedge and continuum filter.

Definitely worth a look :wink:

Derek,Thanks for the heads up :laugh:

I couldn't agree more, the 12 O'clock prom is putting on a wonderful display.

The detachment is a very unusual sight indeed, I have seen them before but not quite like this one. It seems to be trapped in the one place.

Combined with the spots that are on display these are the types of views we were being treated to on a daily basis last summer :laugh:

Nice report and heads up, Derek. Some excellent features on view today, a detached blob at the mo that earlier was part of a huge arching arm coming back to the disc. Spectacular main AR and the smaller AR has some nice swirls around it. A decent sized forest of proms and a smaller oasis.

The main AR looks like it's flaring a bit now. Spot-wise it looks like a big exclamation mark with some other punctuation marks around it. Some nice filaments too.

Nice views today, hope evernyone gets some clear.

I've been looking through Sarah's Quark. I must say I am jealous, I think she has a very good one, no wonder she won't let me 'test' it for imaging :grin: Just to check it's okay, of course...  :evil: 

Luke

Thanks Derek. As you say a great Prom due North and it appears that something has taken off due East about 90/100 degrees.

Sunspot 2396 is huge and fantastic in the 4" Frac - HW - Continuum filter and binoviewers.

Must get back out to view this lifted Prom on the East side.

That's a cracking photo Mark, puts mine to shame from yesterday.

I'm pretty sure the smaller AR was flaring last night just before it disappeared behind the rooftops. Very bright detail in there which isn't visible today.

Just quickly put the 60mm/Quark out for a quick peek.

Thanks DRT.  I looked from 7am to 8.15 before I had to rush out.  I agree, it certainly is an oak tree - exactly what I wrote in my notes!  It's been a great few days solar wise. Can't wait to get home in an hour or so and I'm hoping the Sun will still be out.

Archived