NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The sun in CaK and Ha.

Ant

This is really my first serious attempt at imaging in Cak, focus seems to be a lot more important than in Ha for some reason...

Taken on Aug 2nd, about ten minutes apart. The top image is in Ionised Calcium at a wavelength of 393.4nm and is right at the beginning of visible light, most will see a purple disc visually through a scope, but only the young will be able to see any detail. Imaging enables you to see lots of lovely goodies :)

The bottom image is in Hydrogen Alpha at a wavelength of 656.3nm, taken through a PST.

I think that I'm going to enjoy CaK.

I do need a way to darken the view through the White Light Lunt Herschel Wedge - I had the gain at minimum and the exposure at 1/10000s, and it was still over exposed, even with the ST102 stopped down to 50mm...

Thanks James,

Yes your right, the achro nature of the scope is apparent when imaging through the Herschel Wedge as its white light. But for the CaK solar and narrow band DSO stuff you can't really tell.

Its the focuser that lets it down - i have an electric focuser which really helps, but there is some movement when changing from in to out focus.

Ant

Archived