SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

To keep or not to keep

Dom1961

Just noticed on astronomy tools beta fov calculator that my 25mm BST and my 30mm NPL show the same fov. I know that I'd because the 30 has less mag and the 25 has 60° but is there any reason to keep both of them? Or shall I sell one and invest in something else?

What do you feel comfortable with?

Aside the fact that I now have the full Starguider ED  Kit! ( and the cheapest  GSO/RA Plossl kit ~  very good yet  for so little ? ) the 25mm BST ED was bought to complete the kit.  The Panaview  with its 70° afov was purchased to replace the SW25mm,  which doesn't get much use, although still a reasonable eyepiece! 

If for whatever reason I had to sell some eyepieces,  as much as I think their all very good ( f/6 scope & my eyes! )  I would keep the 32mm Panaview, 12mm BST ED,  WO 6mm SPL and finally, my first  upgrade,  the 8mm BST ED. 

I would keep both, they have the same field but will deliver the view slightly differently.

Suspect one will have a darker background then the other.

Equally I have no problem in collecting and keeping any and every eyepiece possible - 3 more and I will have 2 sets of BST's. Basically sort of lost accurate count of the number of eyepieces.

I would sell the 30mm since the 25 gives same TFOV.  If you like looking at challenge objects that require an OIII filter or stull like the Horsehead, then would get a 40mm instead as even though smaller AFOV, it will get you an exit pupil closer to 7mm (brightest possible) which you many times need when using these aggressive filters for challenge objects.

I would sell the 30mm since the 25 gives same TFOV.  If you like looking at challenge objects that require an OIII filter or stull like the Horsehead, then would get a 40mm instead as even though smaller AFOV, it will get you an exit pupil closer to 7mm (brightest possible) which you many times need when using these aggressive filters for challenge objects.

Thats an interesting view on the 40mm Bill. My "Horsehead" eyepiece is a TV 20mm plossl selected because the exit pupil I get with my 12" F/5.3 dob of 3.8mm is, as far as I was aware, thought to be around the optimum for the H-Beta filter under my typical skies. Maybe this is incorrect though ? :icon_scratch: 

I don't like the views that 40mm 1.25" eyepieces give - they are rather like looking down a well with their 43 degree apparent field. I did own the TV 40mm plossl for a short while to "complete the set" but I didn't hold onto it for long.

If Dom1961's skies are anything like mine, my advice would be to sell the 30mm NPL (nice though it is) and use the 25mm BST to get darker background skies through a little additional magnification. 

Thats an interesting view on the 40mm Bill. My "Horsehead" eyepiece is a TV 20mm plossl selected because the exit pupil I get with my 12" F/5.3 dob of 3.8mm is, as far as I was aware, thought to be around the optimum for the H-Beta filter under my typical skies. Maybe this is incorrect though ? :icon_scratch: 

I don't like the views that 40mm 1.25" eyepieces give - they are rather like looking down a well with their 43 degree apparent field. I did own the TV 40mm plossl for a short while to "complete the set" but I didn't hold onto it for long.

If Dom1961's skies are anything like mine, my advice would be to sell the 30mm NPL (nice though it is) and use the 25mm BST to get darker background skies through a little additional magnification.

Should have mentioned, skies are moderately light polluted with the rare visit to a dark site

I'm kinda split between keeping both, or selling the 30mm, or selling both and buying a 28mm.hmm. If I buy a 28mm, then I'll lose the bits and bobs accessories money. But if I sell both then I don't have a low power ep that I can use my oIII in

I had the same dilemma with my 17.3 Delos after I bought the 13mm ethos, both have about the same fov. I was going to sell the Delos but decided against it and I'm glad I did because I still use it a lot, sometimes less magnification seems better. It might be different with longer focal length eyepieces but maybe keep them both for a while and decide later. :)

I would keep both for time being if you are able to. Reassess once we get dark nights back. But that is only my opinion. There are loads of experienced guys on here who are worth taking advice from.

I do prefer my 40mm plossl over my 32mm just find int more relaxing and comfortable.

I have 15mm plossl and starguider and use both my 18mm bst starguider and 26mm meade plossl show similar amount of sky and both get used. Sometimes its nice to compare side by side as both have their plusses.

You have a par focal set which is nice but not a necessity.

You could also keep 1 or more to let others look through.

Good luck. There is so much choice out there and some fantastic first light reviews on brand new eyepieces.

It seems an exciting time to be a be an amateur backyard astronomer

Al

Hello, i forgot to mention my advice is based on my findings with me using f10 sct with goto which is really kind on most eyepieces and is easier to keep on axis. Thats my justification for not needing wider fov (yet).

Al

Dom,

I see you have a Dob? Do you know how BIG the 2" Maxvision is compared to your NPL plossl? It's a whole different ball park but if your scope focuser is 2" compatible and can handle the weight of the Maxvision 28 (the 34mm is also excellent), then in my opinion the Maxvision views are far superior. And it will barlow well (you need a 2" barlow, the Revelation version at c £34 is excellent), to give you a 14mm moderate power choice too.

Just my thoughts :laugh: . The NPL 30mm is a fine eyepiece for the money now, in fact I think the whole NPL range is very underrated for what they cost.

Dave

Dom,

I see you have a Dob? Do you know how BIG the 2" Maxvision is compared to your NPL plossl? It's a whole different ball park but if your scope focuser is 2" compatible and can handle the weight of the Maxvision 28 (the 34mm is also excellent), then in my opinion the Maxvision views are far superior. And it will barlow well (you need a 2" barlow, the Revelation version at c £34 is excellent), to give you a 14mm moderate power choice too.

Just my thoughts :laugh: . The NPL 30mm is a fine eyepiece for the money now, in fact I think the whole NPL range is very underrated for what they cost.

Dave

The idea of barlowing it is quite good actually. Looking on astronomy tools beta it looks like a good size for solar and lunar. Any body used it for these?

Dom,

Your view (area of sky) will not be significantly larger with barlowed x2 28mm (68 fov)at x86 and your 15mm starguider at x80.(60 fov)

those who have used both will be better placed to advise at this stage. The longer fl morpheus 17.5 sounds awesome by all the reviews on here.

al

Archived