Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Your "ideal" obs site.

Wyvern

Greetings all,

A number of you will be aware by now of my involvement with the Elan Valley and in attaining IDA Dark Sky Park status for the Estate. Amongst the "jobs" to get started is the designation and "construction" of specific observation sites around the Estate. (4-5 probably). At the moment, what we have are roadside "pull-ins" and designated car parking areas, not necessarily in the best places for viewing.  What we had in mind was a simple 3ft high wood or stone corral affair,thus offering some wind or elements shelter, around 30 foot in diameter and close to the road network for ease of access.( Doubt that people would wish to drive down a long bumpy track for too long!!).  The "corral" would be gated to keep out the "wild" animals and the astronomers in........ or the "wild astronomers" in and the animals out ?!  :tongue:

I've a fair idea of what I'd like at an external observing site but would really appreciate your thoughts as well.  Give me 3-5 things you'd like to find at your "ideal" obs site, but bare in mind a couple of things please.  The EV is a charitable trust so unless your about to offer sponsorship or such, we don't have deep coffers to dig our hands into, and also that much of the Estate is SSSI or ANOB so we have to be "sensitive" to the environment of the obs site and to it's potential impact on the lands.

Please take a couple of mins to let me know what you'd like to find at the obs sites, that way I can work up a consensus and we can do our best to get this right first time.

Thank you all in anticipation,

Les

Hi Les,

Again many congrats on the dark sky park status.

I do not know how you need to integrate what facilities you may produce and what the general public will expect to use in the normal use of the park / estate.

1. Toilet Facilities, ( :grin: )

2. Some information point ref status.

3. Distributed information points on the cardinal compass marks on this coral that you envisage.

4. Is there going to be any application for a grant / EU (!) funding for a permanent structure.

5. Some means of loan kit basic binos?

6. Star trail?

There is a forest in Nairn (Culbin) that has excellent unspoilt green loos, information leaflets that remain non vandalised and an excellent walk leading to an observation point. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/moray/culbin-forest.shtml

This is a great model for blending in with the surroundings, and there is no charge for use.

Good luck on this fascinating journey.

Hwyl!

I've a fair idea of what I'd like at an external observing site but would really appreciate your thoughts as well.  Give me 3-5 things you'd like to find at your "ideal" obs site, but bare in mind a couple of things please. 

I make no assumptions about the practicality of providing these, but since we're talking "ideal" locations ...

1.) parking spaces

2.) electricity

3.) internet

4.) piers

5.) tables

I like the idea of a corral, however, a three foot high corral fence seems rather pointless. Six foot high would keep out animals, cut out wind, and also unwanted photons at eye level.  It would seem better to build a couple of quality enclosures rather than a few mediocre ones. Simple planks could be attached here and there along the inside of the fencing to provide benches or counters to set accessories, eyepiece cases, and other necessary items upon.

My ideal site is  a dark campsite with electrical hook up and the shower/toilet windows blacked out. 

I talked to someone on the phone at the Brecon Beacons National Park when they got dark sky status a few years back. I tried to persuade them that if they wanted to attract more astronomers then a 'dark campsite with electrical hook up' is what was needed. Their  reply that the economic impact had been modeled around people coming from outside the area and staying in B &Bs and small hotels!!!!!!!!!!....despite my protestations they remained convinced that this was what was going to happen. 

The more that I think about this, I ask myself what would I do ?

And the answer I came up with is, to build a site with non permanent movable fixtures, like the movie industry does with props. Portable fence panels, a portable toilet, portable benches and tables, or even a portable cabin / club house if deemed necessary This way modifications can be made easily, or if the site doesn't work out as planned the facilities can be easily relocated, so no real money is lost.  If the site works out well and attracts a lot of regular activity, then a more permanent installation can be considered.

• 3 weeks later...

I've let this one run it's due course and will take your raised points forward.

Thanks to those of you who took your time to comment on your "ideal" requirements, your input is very much appreciated, and while I can't guarantee all wishes will be fulfilled, I've at least got a good starting point thanks to you.

Best wishes and again, thanks to all contributors.

Les

Too job on all your hard work paying off. Some form of shelter would be useful to get out the elements and get a brew on, which was are the dominant winds?

On a previous post I would say that a campsite is good but fixed "hut" accommodation would be better... Like on the isle of wight. Don't need tents, can "go inside" after observing, welcome if the weather turns nasty.

Whatever extra help you can provide.. Even if only a nice hard spot with a place to out tents up will be very much appreciated!!

All the best

PEterW

Many congrats to all involved in achieving the Dark Sky status!

So, thinking about the various star parties I've been too...

1. Toilet!

2. Warm Room

3. Electricity (you did say ideal!)

4. Firm level ground

I think anything else is a bonus!

Archived