NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M81 & M82 - First Go Using EOS CLS filter

Roy Batty

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at the number of re-works this has gone through to get to this point ;) . Don't get me wrong - using the CLS filter is a definate plus (no bright LP bulge in the centre now to deal with :) ), but it has meant that a lot of the previous processing ways I've fallen into don't work now. Even now I think it's still early days to learn how to get the best from my DSLR and this filter.

Anyway after much fretting, here's my first go :(

cheers

RB

M81 & M82 23rd April 2008

5534_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

All thanks for the comments.

Typical ;) once I'd posted this last night and had a look at the result online I thought it could do with a bit of tidy up. (note to self - don't post stuff late at night as you're bound to change your mind in the morning :( ) So here's the re-work again...

Oh, BTW for those of you who asked it was 1min subs X 80 @ ISO1600 -unguided.

regards

RB

M81 & M82 23rd April 2008

5537_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Thats really lovely. Nice and sharp and crisp. I have been experimenting with the EOS clip filter also, with varying results. It definetly helps to cut the red light from the cities that surround me, I haven't yet found the perfect way to get rid of the hues left by the filter, other than by de-saturating the image and trying to re-balance it.

But you should be proud of that image, I know I would be ;)

TJ

I've been experimenting with the "Selective Color" tool in Photoshop CS3 - it seems quite good at taking out the unwanted hues mentioned by TJ & blinky above.

In the image below I've reduced the cyan percentage using this method, I think it appears to have "warmed up" M81 as a result - anyway grateful for any thoughts?

cheers

RB

M81 & M82 23 Apr 2008 - Reduced Cyan using Selective color PS CS3

5608_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Archived